Menges, Sloveniya bass info wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by heymrbassman, Jan 25, 2003.

1. I am interested to know if anyone out there knows about this bass or has a similiar one

I have been told that my bass is possibly around 50 years old. It plays well enough and has recently has an ebony board and tailpeice fitted. It has two identical stickers inside the bass with this written on each

Melodiya, Menges, Sloveniya, tovarna, glasbenih, instrumentov. (Some of it is hard to read)

The bass has a carved top and a flat back with a slope near the top. The varnish is light giving the bass a pleasant orange tinge. When I got the bass it did not have an ebony board or tailpeice but looked as though the neck had come off at some point so it may not be the original neck. there used to be the number 66 etched into the butt of the neck at the back of the bass.
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Inscription means 'Melody, Slovenia, Factory, Musical Instruments'.

(Tovarna=Factory, Glasbenih=Musical, Instrumentov=Instruments)

These were made in Slovenia from 50s onwards as far as I know. I don't know about DBs, but their guitars, basses etc were considered low-cost, entry-level instruments, similiar to Chech 'Jolana'.

However, you should keep in mind that the quality of woods in that part of the world is quite high, that labour costs at that time were very low, and designs usually copied from outside.
  3. thanks for the info

How would this bass compare in value with a german bass of the same age?

I played some german basses today and I prefered the sound I get from my bass. Also the build quality seemed to be comparable.
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    As I said, I really know nothing about DBs. But, as a general rule, Slovenia has always been oriented towards Austria and Germany, so it wouldn't surprise me if they copied some German design. Also, as I said previously, they do have very good wood and capable craftsmen there, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this bass is very solidly built. As for the value...sorry, I have no idea.
  5. Thanks again for the translation. :)