Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mensa Test

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jezza11, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jezza11

jezza11

Nov 28, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got 18- it would have been 19 if I figured out what the L in the baker's dozen question was.

3. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    32/33, Damn that bakers dozen!

[​IMG]

4. I got 25... Might have gotten more had I wanted to put in more time (maybe not), but it's late, and I imbibed a bit too much at the club beforehand.

I did get numbers 31 and 33, but not the baker's dozen one. :meh:

5. I got 19 despite of culture and language problems..

6. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    To be honest, I see little in here that proves intelligence. Familiarity, rather. There are some here that people from certain cultures could not be expected to answer. It's directed very much at the American public.

7. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I can tell you with some authority (since I've been an active Mensan for many years now) that this is nothing like the Mensa entrance exam. If you check the FAQ, the author of the test is not in Mensa, nor has he ever tested (why, I'm not sure, since it is free) ... he supposedly got it from a friend of a friend :eyebrow:

The real Mensa entrance exam is free of cultural bias (and certainly this would be an issue for Hong Kong Mensa) because it is entirely based on pattern matching. I can say that the game Myst will give you a better feel for the character of the Mensa exam.

8. Not ever taking any interest in Mensa or knowing what they do, I'd have to say that this test seems too biased to be a real intelligence test. There are things about the bible, the american flag and the provinces in South Africa.

That and it's not hard enough. They say that only two people from Mensa got the full marks. Maybe only two of them tried it.

9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I also don't see how this test really proves anything. I consider myself to be a reasonably smart guy, but my memory isn't so hot so these things don't come quickly to me... why isn't it logic based?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not to mention pirate shanties.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i got the bakers dozen one, but i think everyone else maybe did too.

remember, it's baker's dozen, not bakers dozen.

if you did that right, well then, i'm just smarter than you;) :hyper: :smug:

oh yeah.. i got 22

12. M.D.S.

M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Getting 26 on THAT test makes me a genius? :eyebrow:

13. I got 25. So, clearly, their definition of "genius" is wayyyyy off.. :D

14. I completely agree. It seems that most online "intelligence" tests rely on pre-learned knowledge.

I'm working through it right now.

15. I agree. This test doesn't seem to be an accurate measure of intelligence but rather of recognition and it assumes that the reader has actually knows many of the phrases that they are being tested on.

*** is with the bible references? Three of them no less (maybe more). Why does someone need to know about the bible to be intelligent. Or, maybe it was to see if I could figure those out with no prior knowledge of the bible's structure. I simply guessed at those and got them. Is this a test of intelligence or luck?

Still, this test seems like just a pointless way for whoever created that site to get page visits to sell advertising.

And I'm not just saying that because I could only get 25 of them. (I'll probably try to get the rest later)

- Dave

16. Or, it is possible that Mensa is just a high society version of those scams where people try to get you to pay to have your name listed in some Who's Who book. They get people who are gullable enough to believe that they are geniuses to fork over some cash for membership under the guise of exclusivity. What a bunch of dumb-asses. :D

- Dave

17. :D

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was smart enough to not waste my time on the test.

19. I wish I thought of that. :scowl:

- Dave

20. For those still stumped by the BD one: There's no trick here or anything obscure. Just don't think doughnuts.