Mental Breakthrough

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Roark Haver, Sep 30, 2002.

1. I just wanted to share this with you all, I’m sure most of you have already been there. I had one of those really good lessons last week. After spending the last few lessons working on the cycle of 4ths and playing a ton of different riffs through the cycle and calling out each key as I went, we started working on playing with cord charts. Low and behold, there it was, right in front of me, the cycle of 4ths in some charts. That, combined with working on the cord fingerings for major 7ths, dominant 7ths and minor 7ths, allowed me to come up with my own lines for the charts (very slowly, but it worked). All of the sudden, all of this seemingly unrelated stuff started falling together. It was like the language of music started to make sense. I feel as though my understanding of the instrument doubled in the course of 1 hour. Finally, I can read music (slowly).
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    That's cool! I love when things fall into place and start to make sense. :)

I, too, started understanding more about the Cycle of 4ths when I started reading chord charts of jazz tunes. It's a great feeling knowing you are putting your knowledge of theory to use and knowing reasons behind why you are learning things.
  3. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    The same thing happened to me last week. I started going over the chart for "Misty" -- just the roots, even, and all of a sudden I could see everything in a whole new way.

Now eeeverything has changed. It is pretty amazing. I've learned so much in the past week. Suddenly everything makes sense. Everything I used to be able to hear but not understand how I knew what was going on, and everything I used to notice or understand but not connect with other stuff, now it is all there, so clear. It's like anything I think about just explains itself to me now, it's all just right there in front of me like a big map that's been there all along but I could only see parts of it.

But I feel kinda funny with my bass now, I almost feel like I'm starting over. But it's allllllll good now! Exciting time!!!!

...Cycle of 4ths. Hah, I knew it long ago. I just didn't mess with complicated enough changes to see why... I was so scared of the real books. dummy!

Music is great. :)
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - we seem to get a "breakthrough" every 2 years - if you take this thread as typical!!! :D
  5. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Funny you say that: my last "breakthrough" was around the same time as the original post. But it's okay, because it's all forward from here on... :)

All I want to do, though, is play chords now. Haha!