1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mental Health - Musicians and Pilots.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Sonicfrog, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but, in light of recent news about the Germanwings plane crash, and something local this.

As many of you know, the plane that crashed in the French Apls was downed by the co-pilot, who, if news reports are accurate, was almost certainly suffering from severe depression. What you don't know is that a friend here in town, a fine musician and bass player, committed suicide this last weekend. He is the third in the last two years in this community to end his own life. This isn't the happiest or easiest topics to broach.... But I have to put it out there.

On the one hand, Western society typically denigrates those that we term "mentally ill". But even if that negativity wasn't out there, is there really any way to help our friends in need??? I didn't know the guy that well, but friends of mine were closer. They are shocked. It was no secret that he had some issues and had sought treatment in the past, which seems to also be the case with the co-pilot. But no one saw this coming.

Mental illness is like cancer was 30 years ago.... it's something no one wants to talk about, as if it's some sort of shame.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit. i didn't know the guy that well, but it still bothers me, because anyone around me may be suffering from some mental illness, but can't get help because of the shame and stigma, or even the threat of losing ones job, which seemed to be the case with the co-pilot.

How do we help our friends in need if they can't connect with us so they can get help????