Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mentally Drained

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Jace The Bass, Nov 3, 2004.

1. A Situation is occuring within the last few days in which I was hoping to avoid
    Although I practice everyday reading,improv,transcribing,etc
    it feels like I'm just going through the motions of my routine at this moment
    So I'm wondering Mike what do you do to overcome this mental rut. I've even changed my routine in a different order
    I hope this doesn't last long because I loved that feeling when your mind is in focus anyway I was hoping to bother you again not that you mind though :help:

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I take a break. I'll take a few days off. Do something to refresh myself. Go fishing.

Practice should not be somthing to dread. If it does become so, take a needed break. There are no larger consequences, nothing that means you'll never enjoy playing again.

I'll often take breaks of a week or two. There are time when I don't even want to look at the bass. I just cannot let myself feel guilty over it.

Best of luck
    Mike

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was going to suggest getting involved in a new band, but then read your profile.

I find the following things have re-inspired me:

• Buying a new bass. :)
    • Changing strings dramatically - putting on flatwound or nylon strings in my case.
    • Ripping the frets out of one of my basses.
    • Recording.
    • Diving into a player or style I haven't yet really gotten to know.
    • Messing with effects - I hate effects, but it can be refreshing for me at times just to mess around with a delay or some freaky sound.
    • Picking up other instruments also opens me up a bit. I play guitar and a little keyboards also so turning to them once in a while changes things up a bit.
    To be honest, playing with other people is what always drives me more than anything. If I couldn't jump around or function as I normally do, I'd have to get somethig acoustic going.... or figure some way to play with others.