1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mentoring a young band - a rewarding experience

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    It seems that teenagers in my region are not into playing musical instruments and starting bands as when I was a teenager in the late 60s and early 70s. Back then, bands were everywhere and there were also many places like school, church, firehall, and party dances for young players to perform and hone their skills and get paid.

I am always a proponent of encouraging young musicians (my son plays guitar) and want to support those that are trying to play in a difficult environment.

I have been performing for 41 years and am very well known from numerous successful bands and I am also a concert promoter and am involved with entertainment for many regional festivals.

Anyway, I was directed to a local 4 piece band of 16 year olds who are having a hard time getting gigs and trying to improve. They play classic rock as well as newer tunes.

The guitar player's father invited me to meet the band Sunday afternoon and to provide positive feedback and suggestions to them. I went and met 4 terrific, dedicated, and extremely nice kids who are so into music that I was impressed with their drive and solid music foundation so far. You would have thought that I was a rock star when I arrived, which I felt honored. They were very nervous meeting me but I made them feel at ease quickly. I even took my 1983 Steinberger bass and offered to let the bass player use it. He was so excited that his palms were sweating and he kept apologizing. He loved playing it. The band played an original song and some cover songs for me. They had a a female lead singer on acoustic guitar and 3 guys on guitar and vocals, drums and vocals, and bass.

The bass player asked me if I could teach him something on bass and I was flattered. I not only showed him some bass parts and playing techniques but I showed the entire band some things. I also spoke to them about how to work together, the band business, and other music things to help them. I told them to ask me questions and they did. They and their parents were so appreciative they kept thanking me.

I left there feeling terrific myself for being able to offer some guidance and support to these young musicians.

2. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Right on.

3. Good on you.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    That's awesome!

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    This is a great story. It seems that younger kids nowadays are so into the Guitar Hero / Rock Band thing, they tend to neglect the genuine article. Didnt South Park have an episode where the kids said "real guitars are for old people"?
    This is very refreshing. I'm glad you were there to encourage them, and that they responded...