Menzel Anton

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by curious_george, Feb 7, 2006.

1. hey guys,
    My name is George im new to the forum and have a question about my bass. First i wanted to say a thank you to all of y'all for all of the excellent material and advise i have read over the past year or so. (Man i have been a lurker that long).

Anyway I recently purchased my first double bass with the support of my teacher. But i know nothing about the maker. Inside the bass it says Menzel Anton made in West Germany, and thats all i know. I tried google but it has failed me.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Menzel Anton sounds like an import name... how much did you pay for the bass roughly? Is it ply, hybrid, carved, flatback, etc.
  3. I paid 1k dollars for it, and it is a fully carved flatback.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You paid $1,000 for a carved flatback? Is this a new instrument?
  5. Yeah i got a real good deal. But in answer to your second question, no it is used. Its in great playing condition though. I bought it through a luthier in Austin who fixes up broken basses. He had been trying to sell if for a while to make room in his shop, and he new my teacher Dr. Neubert so i got a good deal.
  6. If it's as good as you say it is, I'd say you just met the bass fairie.

Since your teacher knows the luthier, it sounds like they will stand behind it should anything go astray.

Good luck,
  7. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    who did you get it from?
    post up some pics.

i've been thinking about contacting john for some lessons, are you a music performance major at UT?
  8. I got it from guy named John Alison. I believe he works at violins ect. or works with them or something.

I am currently a freshman getting my BA in music, but i plan on switching to jazz performance or composition.
  9. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    is the bass old or is it one of their romanian basses that you got used for a nice price?
  10. well i dont think its that old at all. All i know about it is what i said in my first post. Its definitly not new, i would guess its like 20 or so years old.