Mephisto - The Evil Twin of Polish Love from Bogdan!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassforce, Jan 30, 2009.

1. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I got this little fella on monday, this is the test version - final version will be without switch.

Since I have this distortion only for few days and I tested it only with my P-bass I can't tell too much about it - but I know I'm totally in love! And Mephisto will stay with me for a very long time.

It's a very interesting distortion. As you can hear it works like one option of Bass Big Muff - the clean and distorted signals are blended so there's absolutely no problem with low end. The little knob allows you to add inredible amounts of low end -
    I'm sure weak cabs wont last long if effect is not used properly with loud volumes.

Here's some clips, listen loud :bassist:

http://mazdah.wrzuta.pl/audio/qNUNdZVtZ3/
    http://mazdah.wrzuta.pl/audio/pfLiP0dctY/
    http://mazdah.wrzuta.pl/audio/7vSIHyqG4Z/
    http://mazdah.wrzuta.pl/audio/xT9ylgubol/

I recorded it on my P-bass with TI Flats through B-200R preamp, so it may no sound very variously.
    I promise I will record more as soon as I will get back my Jazz. Also - as you can hear i'm not virtuoso ;)

Lil' Gallery:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    5.jpg

Full review in 2-3 weeks. I'll get my J-bass on monday, 10th of february so I'll post more clips on 11-12th of february.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What does each knob do specifically if you can tell us?

What does/did the switch do?

3. damn! another one! how much $$ is it for? its giving major gas without even hearing the clips..... blend, tone control awesome awesome

4. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    The little know is some kind of blend - as Bogdan says: it allowes you to boost some frequencies of clean signal in the overall mix.

The other two knobs are like in Polish love - big left is gain, big right is volume. Proper using of volume and "tone" know allowes you to use this pedal as a booster.

Of course there is true bypass - no signal loss at all!

I don't know anything about the price yet - you should ask Bogdan :)

The switch is only for testing, to choose better input capacitor. I recorded using warmer sounding capacitor, the other one sounds bit dry and colder.

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Intriguing.

6. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yes, indeed.

PS. Reading other forums I'm getting this strange feeling that I'm the only person who likes sound of my bass and amp :p

7. Sounds pretty good to my ears. Nice and fat.

8. Inverness

Inverness

Dec 21, 2007
    Marina, CA
    That first clip is "Breathe" from The Cult, no?

9. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Sounds really fat and ballsy, I like it! :D

10. so is the gain so high it makes the pedal more of a hazard to your rig than an overdrive, like the original?

11. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Not the gain, but the "tone boost" - the little knob. I dont think it's more hazardous than low boost in your amp EQ

Yup, there's also Thw Witch by Cult in other sample :) I play in Cult Tribute :)

12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I'm guessing it's a new pedal correct? It doesn't sound like the "All your bass are belong to us" (AKA his Solasound Tonebender clone) pedal. Does it steal all of your bass when you turn the tone knob all the way down?

13. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    This is totally new pedal, the Bogdan will not continue Tonebender clone, because he's not very happy with the tone - he says Tonebender is more for guitar than bass

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Ugh, I would slap him if i lived in Poland. It sounds so nice :p

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Bogan is taking orders on this pedal. So order away ;)

I don't know the actual price of it though, most likely 95$. Don't quote me on that though.

16. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I'll tell him that I'm a guitarist :bag:

17. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Sent the money for mine, should be here next week ;)

18. i expect a full review then ;)

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Finneee :smug:

20. lol