1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Merchant Vertical Bass - ANOTHER PRICE DROP - $1250!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by misterbadger, Apr 26, 2019.

1. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Price:
    Strings:
    Original-design (non-detachable neck) Merchant Vertical Bass in good shape. This design comes closer than any other EUB I've played in duplicating the feel and playability of a regular double bass. Eb neck, 40 1/2" mensure, though scale length can be adjusted somewhat since the bridge sits on spruce rails (made to duplicate the springiness of a bass top) that are moveable. It's crafted from beautiful cherry, with maple neck, oil finish. The hinged faux upper bout is easily detached for storage or travel.

It has the original bridge-mounted eight element Barbara Transducer System. It seems to have one low-output or dead element on the A string, more noticeable with arco than pizz. I've added a brand new Fishman Full Circle pickup which does a great job of amplification.

It comes with a Mooradian bag that's seen better days and is shedding dust from decomposing foam - probably time to replace.

The bass is in the Sonoma wine country, but can FedEx anywhere - with the oversize charges, it was about $100 cross country when I bought it.

2000+ views and a fair bit of tire-kicking, but nothing's come to pass. Price dropped again to $1250 plus shipping.

This is a great bass that deserves a home where it'll be played - my gigging activity is slowing down and it's time to thin the herd.
    MVB face. MVB face. MVB bridge.
    Thanks for looking - please PM me with questions or for better pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    There aren't enough of these in the marketplace for me to have an informed sense of value. If my asking price is out of line, let's talk!

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    are the bridge adjusters screwed into the spruce rails?

4. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Adjusters are "threads up" - untapped holes in the rails. It wouldn't be a big deal to plug and tap the rails if "threads down" is preferred.

5. Your price is dead on. I got that much for mine, which was a five-string with all the options.

Nice basses.

basmansam likes this.
  6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    The adjusters are threads up because the springer bars (rails) are spruce and the threads wouldn’t last in such a soft wood.

The asking price is very reasonable.

Bill Merchant might have some cases; if not, Messina would be the way to go.

7. If the original bag can’t be rehabbed I can’t imagine that Mooradian threw out the existing pattern.

8. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Good point about the softness of spruce. Might be a good place for a threaded insert.
    As an alternative, insetting a bit of maple and tapping would probably work fine.
    Both Mooradian and Messina can make the case; I briefly considered having a flight case made to fit.

9. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    No need to do that. I’ve used both FC and Lifeline pickups on my VBass and they work just fine with the adjusters as they are.

misterbadger likes this.
  10. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    I've got FCs on my other basses, one threads up, the other threads down. I can't say that I notice a lot of difference between the two. OTOH, fine tuning/dialing in the position of the pickup changes the sound radically. YMMV...

salcott likes this.
  11. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    This is a really good deal-someone should be jumping on this. My VBass has satisfied a good number of acoustic purists (among them Dan Hicks) who liked it once they listened with their ears and not their eyes.

dylanjohnson and misterbadger like this.
  12. I agree with Steve. I had one of these for about 12 years. These are basically the best URBs you can get. Wonderful craftsmanship by Bill. The fact that you can get one of these used for less than an Eminence is unbelievable. If I had a use for it these days I'd be snagging it. Also, Bill Merchant is available for support... even on these older models. Such a great guy!

KUNGfuSHERIFF and misterbadger like this.
  13. guidum

guidum

Dec 9, 2008
    Mostar
    Played arco how good does it rwproduce upright bass sound?

14. That depends on the limitations of the pickup.

The instrument is designed as a DB turned inside out with the spruce spring bars the bridge rests upon substituting for a bass bar and soundpost.

The bars flex and move in a manner similar to a real bass. It’s an absolutely brilliant design concept.

salcott and misterbadger like this.
  15. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    My arco chops sound equally pathetic on the Merchant and my Paesold URB. I'm the last person you'd want to use to evaluate this aspect. FWIW, Bill Merchant currently uses the Full Circle as the default pickup on his current model; I guess any other pickup could be fitted as well.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 3:41 PM