Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mercy Mercy Mercy ideas.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I play the song with my band.

The concept of the band is to play jazz and jazzrock songs and funkify them.

I have the Cannonball Adderley version of the song.

I find my bass line a bit too traditionnal.
    I'm looking for different visions of this song.
    Since it's a standard, there must be like a million takes available.

Has anyone ideas ?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Jaco played a cut of it, and Marcus Miller played on the Crusaders version of it. Two funky approaches, yet totally different.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like the Maceo Parker version.

for me, that's the definitive Mercy Mercy Mercy.

Played on a tuba :p

4. Jazz Ad

Thanks Pacman. I know Jaco's version.
    I'm looking for Miller's right now.

Wait a minute. Maceo play it ?
    Which album ?

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Maceo plays it on the album southern Exposure.

6. Jazz Ad

Thanks. Interesting licks there.
    Ideas start flowing. :)

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Marcus is on the Cursaders version of it, on Healing the Wounds.

8. anyone wouldn't happen to have the music for this song? tabs or notation

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    We sometimes take turn this tune into a funky Samba over the Bb-Eb changes...
    (I think this tune is in the 1st LEGAL Real Book by Chuck Sher. It don't get much more basic than that!).
    ;)

Has anyone heard the vocal version by The Buckinghams...the Top-40 band known for hits like "Kind Of A Drag"?
    ;)

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Jim K, I have heard it. I'm glad you mentioned it because it was bugging me.

Which version came first, Zawinul's or the Buckingham's?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The first version was by Cannonball Adderley's quintet!! ;)

(which of course included Zawinul at the time)

12. Bruce Lindfield

I think this is a problem tune to change - so, as you say in first 8 bars it's pretty to change the feel - but what do you do with the pedal Bb for 4 bars and then the whole thing tends to stop for the little run-ups to F - how do you break out of that?

Also the form being 5 4-bar sections is a bit 'odd' and it it is very difficult to really relax and move into something else, as every time you come to the part I mentioned - Bb D Eb F - then nobody seem to know what else to do but that part of the melody?

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Marc-
    Zawinul composed "Mercy"(I'm not sure who actually wrote The Buckinghams' lyrics).

Bruce-
    Samba feel over the Bb-Eb changes ad nauseum(solos)...the pedal section brings the tune back to its original feel.

14. Bruce Lindfield

That's what I presumed and is why I was trying to explain why it is difficult to change the feel for the whole tune.

15. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

My jazz group from 5-6 years ago, in which I was actually the keyboard player, was a sax/keyboard/bass/drums quartet used do this by playing the head through, then the sax player would solo over the same progression as the head (several times). Next would come the keyboard solo. By that time the entire song progression would be getting a bit repetative so I would solo over only the Bb - Eb pregression. This allowed us to start low/quiet and slowly build the intensity during the solo. When my solo peaked and I was done, we would go on to the Bb pedal section and continue through the tune. Hope this helps.

John

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I believe it can be done.
    An 'exercise' of sorts-
    Example: Think how a band like, say, Fishbone, would cover this tune...and then go from there.
    ;)

17. This is very interesting. I remember once I played it with a jazz band and was just given chord charts. I came up wiht a quarter, 2 swing eight, quarter, eighth, then eigth pickup+ fill method, and i thought it sounded fairly cool. A few months later, I was surprised to hear the song on the radio, and the bass player was doing something almost identical to what i was playing! the notes, the rythm, the little fill at the end. It was kinda disturbing how close it was.

That just seemed like the natural way to play it. It's a bit strange that that happened though.

18. Every version I've heard is fairly funky. Basic idea is dotted quarter, eigth, some mix of sixteenths and rests for the last two beats.

I think it's cool to go to straight eigths on Bb for the buildup part. For the minor part at the end, it's hard to not just play the melody, then a bass fill at the end is usually the way to go.

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There is a cool version, done by the Dirty Dozen Brass Band with a real New Orleans second line feel - very cool (although it is Tuba not bass in the bottom)

Mike