1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Merely a Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PsyDocHill, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I'm contemplating getting a good but reasonably priced (i.e., below ~ $600) solid-state combo amp that, without an additional cab's assistance, cranks out a minimum of 200W RMS :bassist:

I'm drooling (quite literally, it's gross) @ the thought of acquiring the Ashdown MAG C210T-300 Combo Bass Amp. Would that be preferable to a similarly powered Backline amp? Because although I love GK, it appears to me that the Backline is to GK as Squier is to Fender :eek:

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    So is MAG to Ashdown. :rolleyes::p;)

Can't say I tried the Backline, although I'm gassing myself for an RB head.

I tried about all MAG heads, cabs and combos from Ashdown. (My local stores has mostly Ashdown in the "bass corner".) And I like them. I like them in the sense of value for money.

I myself like the 410 combo the best from Ashdown. That thing sounds great.

Oh, and for the record: I think I'm liking Squier more than Fender. :)

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I would go with Ashdown before I went with Backline.

4. Thanks for the recommendation. I think I know why you would make this choice (probably due to factors that I cited plus your own prefs), but in case I am totally wrong, could you explain a bit what about the Ashdown and the Backline would lead you (if forced) to choose the Ashdown?

Take care.

5. Thank you for the info about Ashdown. It's useful to read from players who've tried gear and can actually speak about such experiences in a clear manner. Cool.

And I think it's great that you prefer (you think) Squier over Fender. I prefer most anything decent over Fender. In general, I dislike basses that do not have two-octave necks. They don't fit my playing-style and feel "wrong" in my hands: It's purely personal; Fender has the freedom to continue making basses pretty much the way it always did, thus offering little diversity for the increasingly diverse needs of our great World Legion of Bassists. Though that 'tude of theirs seems somewhat stodgy. Way stodgy. Have they not noticed that there are many great bassists playing wildly different kinds of instruments? Would it not be good for their oh-so-iconic image to offer a full line of MIA (why not?) instruments to serve such players and thus compete with the growing army of bass-makers? Whatever. That's Fender's problem, or maybe, like with Ric, the stodginess is what keeps the company on the map.

However, I cannot forgive Fender for being so pricey. I see no reason why an MIA bass of theirs should cost three times, roughly, the price of the MIM varient. Let's see, are the US and Mexican, er, factories, more than a few miles from one another? If they're not, that would be hilarious! I can just picture workers from both plants talking shop over lunch daily, although taking home vastly different paycheques :meh: And if the MIM is deep in the interior of Mexico, so what. The whole deal makes no sense to me.

Now that feels better.

Later, Y'all

6. Shoot fire, I missed that vital piece! I had no idea about the MAG's lowly status in the Ashdown monarchy.

Many thanks.

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  8. I started with the lower end Ashdown stuff (see my profile) and it has never let me down. That is some good stuff right there.

Now... I would really recommend scrubbing CL and looking for some Peavey stuff (again see my profile). I gig with it consistently without a problem and I play with a 7-piece band. Sure there is better tone to be had, but quality and power to price ratio, it cannot be beat!

Ox.

9. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Fullerton (or is it Corona?), California and Ensenada, Baja Califorina.
    About 200 miles, as the crow flies. Each facility is about 100 miles from the border.

10. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    At least MAG is higher up than EB:D

11. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I bought an EB for my backup head and I lub her! :crying:

Though lately I have been gassing for a Backline 600 (as a backup head). Funny

--Bomb :bassist:

12. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, I didn't mean to say that they are inferior to the rest of Ashdown series.
    My point is that the cheaper "lower" product lines from a certain manufacturer don't always are worse than a certain manufacturers expensive stuff.
    Focus on what the differences are between several products from the same brand rather than just the price, and therefore concluding that what is more expensive is better.

If I had to make my choice between the Ashdown range (Klystron, ABM and MAG) and money is no problem, I'd still go for the MAG series.
    Why? Because I don't care for tube amps or preamps. The MAG would suit me better, and I can dial in a tone I desire.

You can't go wrong with Ashdown MAG, many here will agree on that.

And if the 210 MAG combo is your price range then so is the 410. (It doesn't cost that much more) Depends on what you like more.

I myself was thinking of getting a Gallien Krueger 700RB head with an Eden 4x10 8ohm cab. That would be the ultimate halfstack for me.
    But replying in this thread made me thinking. The Ashdown MAG would be a more sensible amp for me since I don't gig.

And For the money of the Eden cab I could get 2 Ashdown MAG 410 combos, or even three considering the GK head.
    :atoz:

:)

13. I didn't even realise that Ashdown's "better" combos had tube preamps. Like you, I don't care for those fragile glass dinosaurs. Transistors replaced them long ago, and all that mumbo-jumbo about their warmth just doesn't fly: When I plug my Warwick Corv. Std. Passive Fiver into my cheap old-model SWR LA15, I can dial in warmth I can use later this fall to keep my heating bill down :)

My learning curve has been steep over the past couple of days. And I am favouring the GK option: I can get a 575W monster combo (weighs about 90 lbs) used for $650. That's more than enough, I think (correct me, pls, if I'm mistaken) to fill a medium-large venue with some serious bass, if I attach an extension cab. That tube hype makes some companies very rich. How ironic, given that they're using technology that became obsolete when my dad was growing up.

This is why I like to revisit certain postings. Reading this now with more of a clue, I'm, relatively, getting it. Originally? There was no-one home. Thanks so much!

14. What a convenient "offshoring" arrangement. And to think that so many of us buy into these rackets. :scowl:

15. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    FYI, GC sells an Acoustic 200W combo for a little under $400.

16. I love my Fenders and I'm not alone. And yes, I've tried others.

On the OP. Look at Yorkville too. They make a 2x10 combo that, without an ext. cab, is a little less than 200 watts but most who've used them find them loud.

17. Ox, I dig Peavey. I used to have one of their combos back in one of my college bands and it never quit on me.

But I'm a bit confused Re their combos: Their most powerful one (as far as I can tell) rates 200W RMS. That wouldn't cut it in a gig in a venue larger than your average bar. And it's priced @ nearly $700, which is more than GK, Ashdown and others charge for combos with twice the POTENTIAL (i.e., with additional cab/s) wattage.

I'd feel very comfortable just getting my good ol' made in Mississippi Peavey. But I don't want to be overpowered by the band. Help, please?

18. I don't get it: I receive the paper catalogue all the time and I noticed the BR615. The specs are stupifying; they make the price look absolutely ludicrous. So why isn't there a serious buzz among TB'ers about this combo? You pay double or more to get anything like this from another Co. And this puppy is made in ol SoCal rather than in some offshore sweatshop.

This should be my amp, but it does weird me out a bit that there's no way (short of flying out there, but that defeats the purpose) for me to test-drive the amp. But some gambles must be taken. Man, this costs just a little more than GC's, uh, yeah, right, 200W "pro" Acoustic combo. Yeah, gotta have it!