1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Merengue/Salsa bass opinion NEEDED

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, Dec 21, 2011.

1. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    It seems as though the merengue basses most commonly used are the Yamaha TRBJP, Fabregues and Ken Smith(from what I have seen on youtube). Well I am finally in the market to spend some money and I am looking at the first 2 basses mentioned due to a Merengue project coming up. Any other basses recommended for this type of music? The B is essential and critical. Also any personal feedback with these basses in this setting would help. Thanks!

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    You should shop around and focus on basses with a tight B string and a strong fundamental, since that's pretty much the spec for merengue/salsa bass (strong fundamental, muted top end, low B).

I'd say don't close your options to just those brands. Try everything you can get your hands on, go for the modern basses with humbuckers near the bridge, possibly 35" scale.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    If you want a thunderous B, check out a Modulus Q5.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Pepe Fabregues is no longer building.

5. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks! I am leaning towards the Fabregues 5 since I have a lead on one as we speak, 35 inch scale and used by several merengue players that I have seen. I saw Elvis Crespo live a few years ago and the bass player used a Fabregues 5 and it was thunderous.

6. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    ThANKS TO YOU AS WELL.. i have been told by several to eye this exact bass due to the B. In fact the other bass player for Elvis Crespo I saw years back used one and man did it sound awesome. Thanks

7. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks man--Yes, I heard that he is no longer building which seems like a real shame hearing from other BPs. I have a lead on one right now and it looks very sweet and I am sure it sounds sweet as well..and hard to find!

8. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks guys-
    If you listen to Grupomania, Eliezer Gonzalez uses the Yamaha JP6P and it sounds just as good, if not better than the ones we have spoke of. I am not necessarily convinced of the"if they use them I should get one" syndrome. But it does speak volumes when these few instruments are the preferred weapons ,consistent on stage and studio. Thanks guys!

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Pepe definitely is a talented luthier and his basses are some of the best made.

Hope he decides to get back into building.

10. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I played and rehearsed a couple of times with a fabrueges 6 string while the bass was at my friends shop/jam room. Good bass but huge baseball bat like neck. Definitely tight B string and pretty even on all strings across the neck. It took a couple of practices to get used to. It belonged to a local merengue player. As far as I've seen here in the merengue salsa scene, players with money go for ken smith, and most others are seen with yamahas and ibanezes because thats what most readily available here. I've seen a few warwicks as well.

EDIT: I play modern hard rock haha if it matters.

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    My bass teacher (taught me the ropes) played for 10 15 years with johnny ventura Johnny Ventura y su Cachimbos- Filete - YouTube before he got into jazz and he used a fender jazz for the majority or most of those gigs back in the day. Worked fine for him.