MerleFest bluegrass festival.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Philbiker, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Anybody go? Camp? Like it? I've got a guitar player friend who went last year and had a great time, he's thinking of going again, and I might join him. Most of my gear is lightweight backpacking stuff, but I can scare together enough gear to have a comfortable time. Think I'd be popular at the campground jams with my Thunderchief? Or would a washtub bass do better. Should I post in the DB forums?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've gone the last two years and will be there again this year. If you want to stay in Wilkesboro itself, camping is your only option at this late date since the local hotels are booked solid well in advance. In fact the one right outside the college campus where the fest is held is PERMANENTLY booked. They give preference to returning customers and there is a waiting list hundreds deep. I've been staying at a Holiday Inn about 30 miles away!

As I haven't camped I can't tell you anything about campground picking. I fly down so bringing a bass with me is a no-no. Makes me wish I knew how to play the fiddle :smug: There is a picking tent on the site with semi-organized jamming.

Regardless of the picking situation the fest itself is well organized, way too much great music going on (over a half dozen stages!!) to catch everything. It's not really a bluegrass festival, there's other rootsy stuff...C&W, Celtic, blues, gospel, singer-songwriters, etc.
  3. slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I will be playing Merlefest this year with Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion. Stop by and say Hello. I would like to meet more TB'ers