Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Merlin 550 Amp Head

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Whappo Grande, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    [​IMG] The Merlin 500 represents the pinnacle of design excellence and quality engineering in the realm of electric Bass amplification. Designed by German electronics guru Hardy Kurandt in conjunction w/Bass designer Stefan Hess, no expense was spared to make the Merlin 550 the last Bass amplifier you’ll ever need or want to buy.

Unlike many high-end bass rigs, the Merlins elegance lies in its understated simplicity. The 550s uncluttered control panel offers a simple user interface that’s pleasantly reminiscent of a classic tube amplifier. Several modern features such as Gain Boost and Mid Boost presets, Mixable Effects Loop, and an adjustable crossover add to the Merlins flexibility. All controls are passive, yielding whisper-quiet performance.

The Merlins construction is unlike any other amplifier in existence. Its stainless steel chassis is both cosmetically striking and electronically beneficial, offering additional shielding that yields dead quiet performance. The 550s 17 1/2 pound torroidal transformer and ten MOSFET transistors pump out chest-crushing low-end that is amazingly tight and punchy without coloring the original tone of the input instrument. A single 12AX7WA in the preamp section helps add warmth and clarity to the input signal.

If you long for tube-amp tone in a reliable, portable package, the Merlin 550 stands alone in the world of bass amplification. 550 Watts into 4 Ohms.

They are hard to find because they are no longer manufactured. Retail was $2495.00 & I’m letting it go for $1695.00. (includes shipping)

Part of my "Fall Clean Up" program...
    Mark

2. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    The was an excellent review in Bass Player Magazine on this amp. If anyone is interested, I could fax or mail it.

Mark