Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Merlin amps, anybody knows of them ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doryan, Aug 14, 2002.

1. I'm scouting out to buy a new amp.
    I read an article about the German manufacterer Merlin.

Anybody knows them ?
    Are they descent ?
    What style can you play on them ?
    Price ?

Would it also be a good idea to combine it with a Marshall VBC 4x12" cabinet ?

I'm thinking of getting a stack like this then in addition to my Trace Elliot stack: ah500, 2x15" cab.

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I saw something in bass player magazine about them once. I could be wrong but I think I read something like 2000-4000$ (Probably a bit cheaper in europe :))
    I don't know what your budget is but I'm afraid I dissapointed you. I'll look it up to be sure.

Greetz,
    Awesome

p.s.:You're from the flemish part of Belgium

3. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
  4. Ah, my bad. :oops:

5. Yep, how do you know, I live in Limburg, Neeroeteren near Maaseik. Where are you from ?

6. You rang??? :p

:D:D

Merls

BOOO oh do shut up.

7. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Found a very short review in BP (the june 2001 issue)
    BP wrote: "Merlin 550 sounds the way it looks -clean and uncluttered ... we crancked the 550 and heard it retain its transparancy at high levels ... retail price is 2599$... preamp-only version will be available soon"

But good news, costs 1679EUR at www.bassmatters.nl (must be something like a 2-3 hour drive from where you live)

Greetz,

Awesome
    Vlaams-Brabant,Baal (regio Leuven)

8. I really must go and try one out, the few reviews I read about it appealled to me.
    Plus, the looks, has anyone ever seen a more beautiful head.

Sounds like a reasonable price.

9. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    It looks like a great amp, you'll have to let me know if you tried one and tell me all about it.
    Have you read anything about the pre-amp?

Greetz,
    Awesome

10. Nope, I didn't know they would come out with a preamp. Are you interested in the preamp ?

I'm going this weekend to Piens in Deinze. Find out if they can order it too.

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I read agood review in the German "Gitarre&Bass" magazine but I can't remember any details.
    I think this is a completely different style - more like old school rock, great to be paired with a hefty tube head - while the Merlin seems to be more for the 'hifi' freaks.
    Just a guess though... (haven't heard any of the two)

Matthias