1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Merlin amps, anybody knows of them ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doryan, Aug 14, 2002.

1. I'm scouting out to buy a new amp.
    I read an article about the German manufacterer Merlin.

Anybody knows them ?
    Are they descent ?
    What style can you play on them ?
    Price ?

Would it also be a good idea to combine it with a Marshall VBC 4x12" cabinet ?

I'm thinking of getting a stack like this then in addition to my Trace Elliot stack: ah500, 2x15" cab.

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I saw something in bass player magazine about them once. I could be wrong but I think I read something like 2000-4000$ (Probably a bit cheaper in europe :))
    I don't know what your budget is but I'm afraid I dissapointed you. I'll look it up to be sure.

Greetz,
    Awesome

p.s.:You're from the flemish part of Belgium

3. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
  4. Ah, my bad. :oops:

5. Yep, how do you know, I live in Limburg, Neeroeteren near Maaseik. Where are you from ?

6. You rang??? :p

:D:D

Merls

BOOO oh do shut up.

7. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Found a very short review in BP (the june 2001 issue)
    BP wrote: "Merlin 550 sounds the way it looks -clean and uncluttered ... we crancked the 550 and heard it retain its transparancy at high levels ... retail price is 2599$... preamp-only version will be available soon"

But good news, costs 1679EUR at www.bassmatters.nl (must be something like a 2-3 hour drive from where you live)

Greetz,

Awesome
    Vlaams-Brabant,Baal (regio Leuven)

8. I really must go and try one out, the few reviews I read about it appealled to me.
    Plus, the looks, has anyone ever seen a more beautiful head.

Sounds like a reasonable price.

9. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    It looks like a great amp, you'll have to let me know if you tried one and tell me all about it.
    Have you read anything about the pre-amp?

Greetz,
    Awesome

10. Nope, I didn't know they would come out with a preamp. Are you interested in the preamp ?

I'm going this weekend to Piens in Deinze. Find out if they can order it too.

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I read agood review in the German "Gitarre&Bass" magazine but I can't remember any details.
    I think this is a completely different style - more like old school rock, great to be paired with a hefty tube head - while the Merlin seems to be more for the 'hifi' freaks.
    Just a guess though... (haven't heard any of the two)

Matthias