Merry Christmas to me!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FunkySpoo, Dec 24, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Well I finally took the plunge. I just picked up a new (to me) Christopher 103T. Next week it's off to the luthier for a setup. I'm really stoked. It's in nearly new condition. The guy I got it from is a music major at Howard University majoring in piano. He bought this bass about a year and a half ago, played it for one semester and decided it wasn't for him. It's been sitting in it's bag for a year. I got it with a padded bag, a bow, rosin, a string mute and that thing you put your endpin on to keep it from sliding across the floor. Now to find a teacher.
  2. Congrats, Rick! That beats a lump of coal any day! Have fun with your (nearly) new Christopher.

I've been a good boy this year. Maybe there'll be an American Standard hybrid La Scala in my stocking tomorrow. Or a necktie.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Mike, Ahhhnold is lining up a La Scala for me as we speak; I'm sending the payment today.

Sometimes you just gotta take control of yer own Xmas...;)Congratulations, Rick, enjoy the holidays!
  4. Congratulations to both you Mothers!!
    Rick, I was starting to worry about were sounding pretty confused there for a while. Keep us posted...I know you will!
    Marcus, I didn't even know you were in the market, but I don't see how you could go wrong with anything Arnold is involved in! If that La Scala sounds and plays anywhere near as good as it looks, you're in biz!!! And please keep us updated as well!!! Merry Christmas to you both!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Congrats! I'm counting the days (and pennies) till I pickup my first real bass. I'm getting an old german ply that needs a bit of work in about 3 weeks :D
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Actually, Paul, I wasn't in the market 'til about a week or so ago, when my wife informed me that I needed a sizable tax writeoff. So I contacted Arnold and he's pulling it all together for me.
  7. So, tell us more! How you gonna have Arnold load it up? Strings, machines, flat or carved back, all the goodies like we're talking about a car...
    C'mon give us the skinny!
  8. Congrats! One of my students has a Christopher laminate (don't know the model #) and it's very impressive. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours. BTW, who's your luthier?
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    We haven't really gotten down to the details of the setup, beyond the finish color; I told him that I pretty much like the shade of the one on his website. It'll be a roundback La Scala Hybrid, and although I'll be sticking with Spiro Weich, he did talk me into switching to an Orchestra E string ("even Gomez has made the switch"). He's building a crate for it to ensure safe delivery. He says 6-10 weeks, which kinda blows my mind; takes me that long to redo the grout in the bathroom!
  10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks very much. So far I'm very happy with it. I'll b taking it to Potter's Violin in Bethesda.
  11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks Paul.
    Yeah I was pretty confused, what with the old vrs. new thing. I have to say thanks to all you guys for your guidence. It was very helpful. As for my Chrissy, it's still basically has the out of the box set up and sounds pretty good so I hoping that it'll sound really good after a set up.
  12. Marcus, let's see:

1. You get to play bass for a living.
    2. You are an ex-Cheesehead who now lives in Hawaii.
    3. You are, upon your wife's suggestion, nay, insistence, acquiring a New Standard Hybrid La Scala.
    4. You live in Hawaii.

When did things start going so wrong for you?
  13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
  14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    5.) My wife's a blonde ultrababe, even after two great kids.

I dunno Mike, can't figure it out. It's been a good life.
  15. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    :) your set up rocks. Love the Ray 5. The DB looks great too... heck even that ovation looks prettty dang good. You gotta love the EA rig too.
  16. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words. And yes I do love the EA rig. I power it with a QSC PLX 1602 and use an SWR SM400 as a pre. 2 EA VL210's with 1600 watts is my idea of heaven.
  17. Michael Nickerson

Michael Nickerson

Apr 24, 2003
    Hi Marcus. I'd be interested in how you'll get the tax write-off if you won't have it until 2004.:p In anycase it sounds like you've got a great home, a great wife, and a (definately) great bass coming.
  18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    It's bought and paid for. It just won't arrive 'til 2004.
  19. Now that everyone has their new basses, and don't get me wrong, but the pictures reveal some pretty ugly left hand problems!
    Nothing personal!
  20. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    The monkey paw death grip isn't an accepted methodology?:rolleyes:

Actually, if you hadn't said something I would have. Nothing personal, but everyone PLEASE take at least 3 lessons to learn proper hand position.

Bad technique on bass guitar will mame you less fluid. Bad technique on upright will get you hurt.

The longer you wait the worse it will be. I spent 3 months without a teacher trying to learn bass. There is a bad habit I developed that comes out when I'm tired, and that was over 10 years ago.