1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Merry Rickenbacker 4003 To Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Nov 24, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Well I told myself no, wait till some time next year and get one, I was looking at the walnut versions and either they were about $2000 buck or the S series, which is not bad for the pricing of around $1300 new, even looked at a few used and found some around $1200 bought you have to try those out due to no returns, Well a Sam Ash Black Friday open box on a FireGlo 2018 came up $1400 and make offer, we settled at $1500 with Tax and shipping includes hard case, should be delivered Tuesday at the shop, I am too chicken to tell the wife I bought another Bass. but I am like a lil kid waiting on a new toy! It is not the color I really wanted but I been wanting a Ricky for 3 years, So the question is what up grades should be done, I was looking at a Hipshot Brass Bridge, I like using Flatwounds on my other bass's, any other things to think about? s-l500 (3). s-l500 (2). s-l500 (4). s-l500 (1). s-l500. s-l500 (3). s-l500 (2). s-l500 (4). s-l500 (1). s-l500.

2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I think you got a screaming deal on a real beauty as it is now. Is there a known problem with the bridge on these, or are you just wanting to bling it up a notch???

3. ElMartillo

ElMartillo

Nov 23, 2018
    A60F3A06-E1DB-429C-A376-727DDCC14514. Congrats, and I know the feeling. I picked up a 2018 open box JetGlo for $1400 shipped with RIC hardshell case. It replaces a FireGlo 4003 that was stolen from me years ago. Love my sexy black Rick, gonna make a black pickguard and truss nut cover to make it blacker. Sounds so good through my B-25B...

MCF, Briton, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  4. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Hiho enjoy your Rick,I,ve got a Hipshot on mine-Fabulous.I got thrown off Rick forum for asking why they don,t fit Hipshot bridges as standard-silly me.I got the wrath of the dark overlord.

5. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

No RRF for you! Let it be written, let it be done.

6. There's nothing wrong with the stock bridge these days. Why do you want to replace it?

The only change I've made on my 4003 is to swap out the pickups for JBE humbuckers, which have the proper Ric sound but don't hum. My home and my band's rehearsal space are both really bad for hum, so getting rid of it is pretty important to me.

7. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Yay!!! The only upgrade I'd perform on that beauty is to shield the wiring and cavity. Get a roll of shielding tape and have at it. The bridges get a bad rap because they are really a nuisance to adjust. You have to set them where you think they should be > put them back together > if you're wrong >START OVER. If you get it right the first time, no biggie. On the positive side (which really doesn't get much attention) once set they never move, so you only have to fart around with it once. Enjoy your new bass and don't forget to explore the vast tonal possibilities it possesses. Not just clank is available.

8. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    So have Rickenbacker re-designed the bridge on the new Ric's?

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Tone Twins 4.JPG No, not really. They just made the tailpiece zinc casting a little thicker (and maybe put a stiffening rib or two? Not sure..) to make them less susceptible to lifting. The actual bridge itself is the same fidgety little devil; kind of a pain to adjust, but, once done? Unless you make serious string changes, rarely needs to be messed with again. I can't remember the last time I had to touch either of mine; it's been years...:whistle:

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I have an old jetglo, but fireglo is my favorite Ric color. Enjoy! As far as "upgrades," none. Leave it all original -- it's part of the charm of that bass.

byoung93888 likes this.
  11. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Very nice!

12. Nice. My #1 bass has been a Custom Shop jazz for years. I also regularly play a few stingrays and Warwick. Well, I picked up a 79 Ric 4001 in Autumnglo and it has entered the rotation. I has a sound that only a Ric has. Showed up at the last gig without it and the drummer and guitar player were both complaining that I didn't bring it. It has become their vote for my #1 bass, and I think I agree. I bet you'll find the same with yours. Enjoy!!

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The other advantage to the Hipshot bridge is that you can palm mute it and pluck behind the bridge pup, effectively impossible with the stock bridge. The intonation adjustment is a PITA on the original design, but it’s a one time deal for a given string set, so that’s overblown. Per the OP’s other thread on this, a lot of people say the brass Hipshot makes the bass a little body heavy, is that what brass owners are finding? Rics are generally well balanced, I’d hate to screw that up, though body heavy is better than neck heavy. Aluminum Hipshot may be a safer bet. +1 on shielding, it makes a big difference, and it’s relatively easy. Make sure both jacks are working properly, they can short out if not rotated just so in their mounting holes.
    Nice looking bass, BTW, I like the darker red on newer Fireglo’s.

14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Looks great! I wouldn't stress too many mods, though I've done a couple on mine. Shielding is never a bad idea!

If you find the hum is really hard to handle, and don't want to replace the pickups, you can re-wire the bridge pickup RWRP, and then it's like a J-Bass when using both pickups together. I tend to use the middle selector about 95% of the time, so it's definitely a useful mod for me!

As well, some folks find the lack of natural thumb rest on the bass a pain, so you could add one via a treble bezel from Pick of the Rics.

15. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Two beautiful looking 4003's in this thread and I really want to take the plunge and purchase a 4003 but after watching you tube videos and especially the Canadian luthier who slates them something rotten, I am now in two minds. Should I take his opinion with a pinch of salt? Honest replies would be welcome.

16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    You must be talking about Dave's World of Fun Stuff, he's a hoot, but he loathes Rics. They do have their idiosyncracies, most of which were addressed by the 4004 models, long out of production. A very divisive subject on TB. The hard binding edges and minimal concession to ergonomics make them uncomfortable to play for some. You want confort. Get a jazz bass. You want that unmistakable grinding clank? Get a Ric. Its pretty risk free given the high resale value, but get it from a good dealer like Wildwood Guitars or Pick of the Ricks who look them over before shipping.

MCF and Briton like this.
  17. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I already have a Jazz a P Bass and a Stingray and I have tried one and I do not find them too uncomfortable with the binding to play. I am just concerned about QC issues and the set up, but maybe they have corrected a lot of the finish issues like with bubbling. Thanks for the recommendations but I am over in the UK and I would want to view before buying.

18. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I dont know if I sound nuts or not, but my Rick is about as comfy to as my GL L2000, adding the thumb reast helpd out in being comfy while playing

19. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Big Dave’s fan here. I’ve learned a ton watching his vids. But I take his opinions as just that, opinion. And I think he’s fine with people disagreeing with him, so long as it’s expressed respectfully.