Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 1000 vs 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Jul 29, 2005.

1. I want a 400+ head, but i was thinking. would 2 mesa boogie roadready 1000's be any different than an 810 with a 215? Which would be a better idea to move? I wouldnt mind if anyone knew prices on these listed above (including the 400+). I love the roadreadys so i think im gunna stick with those. I am pretty sure i want at least 1 15 in the mix for that insane low end.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    An 810 and a 1-15? Where you playing, Pine Knob?

3. what you mean? theres nothign wrong with headroom. Im not talkign about having it cranked. But what would be a better idea (price wise, and how bad it would be to move), a roadready 1000 or two, or an 8x10 and a 2 15?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Of course, you are perfectly free to own and use whatever gear you like. However, an 810 plus a 115, is overkill, almost anywhere other than large outdoor venues. You are absolutely right there is nothing wrong with headroom, but that usually refers to having spare power from your head, not extra speakers. Anyway, I think either combination you are talking about would work, but it may also get you kicked out of most bar/club bands!

Buying new, you are looking at around $3000 plus for the head and two cabs, and that is if you get a good price/discount. If you are going to shell out that much cash, you may look into upgrading your Squire bass too......

5. An 8x10 AND a 2x15? Dude, you need to seriously re-evaluate where you're going to be playing. A double fullstack like that will be suitable for stadiums not clubs. In fact, I can't imagine any situation where a single 8x10 wouldn't serve your purposes.

Sure, it's nice to have a huge rig to boast about, but is it really worth the money you're going to spend on it? Also, do you have the back for hauling that thing around? A Mesa RR 8x10 alone weighs around 180lbs.

Also, 15'' speakers are useful only if you are at least 10 feet in front of them when you're playing on stage. On a stage smaller than that, the 15''s will be throwing your sound out way further into the crowd, and muddying up the mix that the soundman should be taking care of (NOTE: *should* be taking care of). Consider getting a 4x10'' and a 1x15''; I suspect it'll be more than enough to take care of your needs. Myself, I'm getting a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10'' and a 2x12''. Twelves are great because they give you the crazy bottom end of 15's without losing the definition of 10's, and at the same time, they don't project your sound too far out ahead of you.

I used to have GAS like you, but then I thought about it for a while, and realized how powerful a single 1x15 is, let alone a 4x10 on top of it. Of course, in the end it's your dollar, so you should do what'll make you happy.

Peace!

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The 400+ lists for $1500, and the RoadReady 8x10 is around $1700. I don't know about the Powerhouse.

A single 400+ and a Powerhouse would be a killer rig- as much as you'd ever need. :bassist:

7. well, not to be compared to them, but lamb of god had 2 8x10's. Thats bigger than a 8x10 and a 215. But, after learning about 15's, and how far they throw, it sounds like more harm than anything. Would that mean I should stick with an 8x10 and not think about the 1000 (as it is 410s with a 15) because of the fact that it has a 15 in it? Would an 8x10 get the low end for punk and metalcore?

Thank you for the prices.

And buy the way i dont play a Squire anymore, i just hadnt been on this site in about a year, and i now own a fender p. I play it out of the backline 600 amp, 410, and 115, which is decent but im lookign for something with a better tone to it, especially looking at tube amps (mainly the 400+).

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A Mesa 400+ is a great head. If you go with one, you'll be pleased. I have to admit to being ignorant of "Lamb of God",
    but, are you sure both 8-10 cabs are hooked up, or is one a spare?
    Secondly, will you be playing the same venues Lamb of God does?
    I'm guessing most 16 year olds such as yourself will be playing significantly smaller places.

As far as bottom end, I use a Mesa 400+ with a Bergantino 610, and I certainly don't wish for any more bottom. I certainly wouldn't want to carry any bigger of a rig either.

9. Yes, lamb of god has both rigged up, one on each side of the riser. Where they played wasnt a big place either, adn it was indoor. I wouldnt be playing that yet, but half the places i would be playing wouldnt have PA systems anyway. Backyards and such. I would be playing clubs, and i do plan on playing an outdoor venue at the local park here, but no one says i cant play it on 2 if i have to. I am also slightly hard of hearing (and yes i am 16, that bad huh) so maybe i dotn understand how big that is. I am pretty much sold on the 400+ and the 8x10. That sounds liek a killer rig.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    How you gonna do vocals and hear the drums over stacks with no PA?

11. cuz im smart, its just playing at someones party, we would crank low.

12. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Get the powerhouse 1000

You'll get a full range in one cabinet, and still have plenty of headroom

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Now this thread is a bit more reasonable than your last one. I was thinking about getting 2 Powerhouse 1000s, but now I'm not so sure I even want a Mesa cab to go with my 400+; an Aggie 412 or Bergantino 215 or 610 (or 2 :p ) just sounds so damn good, even better than the Mesa. However, if you are set on the Mesa, I'd go with 2 1000s over an 810 and a 215. Its easier to stash 2 cabs the same size, and the 1000s sound better to my ears than either the 810 or 215. Besides, if you just take one to an indoor gig or w/e, you will get the same sound as you always do. And the wattage would be more balenced. By the way, I also don't use the PA at gigs, I just love the sound from my cabs the best.

14. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    oh yea, a powerhouse 1000 weighs less than an 8x10

15. That makes sence. Now you got me going back to the 1000, I dotn know what i would get now that i think about it. After thinking about it, an 8x10 is probably overkill for where im at right now, but a 1000 is not. A 1000 sounds liek a better buy for me right now. Do you know how much they go for (roadready of corse)?

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well the thing is that a 1000 is about the same size as an 810. The 1000 will be as loud as an 810 in most cases as well. Get the 810 if you like the sound, but then you get another 810 later to go with it, not a 215 because that will change your sound a lot. With the 1000, you get the same sound, even when you add another cab.

17. well now i have to find a way to hear them because guitar center doesnt stock them, I have heard them here adn there but never sat down and studied either one. If anyone knows the price of the 1000 it would be much appreciated, i cant find it anywhere. I also liek teh sound of a 410 and a 115, so the 1000 sounds more appealing right now.

18. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    the list price for a powerhouse 1000 (road ready) is 1600. The 810 is 1750...

hope you can find a local seller, the shipping on a 140 lb cab is gonna be crazy

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well if Mesa doesn't stock them near you, its going to be really hard to find one. Mesa prices are the same everywhere they sell em. And they don't sell online. The only way for you to get one, unless you wana travel, is to call the factory or a retailer and have one shipped. Or look used. My local shop has 2 used Powerhouses for $1200 a piece (I think, +-$200) but Mesa cabs usually retain their value very well.

20. Oh god i really hope i dotn have to ship it. Guitar center woudl ship it if i had the money, but i want to hear it first. So its looking liek i have to come up with around 3000 dollars. I have another question. If i got bored, could i hook up my backline 410 and 115 together with the powerhouse, hook it to the 400+, adn have a killer loud ass rig (note the if i got bored, not for a regular basis thing).