Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 1516 help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Mar 14, 2005.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    So I picked up a Mesa 1516 cab today for $325. I'm looking for something to replace my Ampeg 8x10. The 1516 has certainly been used and I think the 10" speaker doesn't work...it seems to be "frozen" since it doesn't push in at all like the 6's and 15.

Where can I get a replacement for this at a good price besides Mesa? Is it worth keeping this thing if it's cosmetically pretty beat, and 1 speaker doesn't work? The tone is absolutely amazing even without the 10" working properly compared to my Ampeg 8x10.

Also, I'm mono-bridging my SVT-4 into this...but i'd like to add a 2x10 or 4x10 mesa cab, how would I go about that? I don't want just as much power going to the 2x10 as this beast.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey, welcome to the club, i just got my 1516 today too :)

How does the low end of yours compare to the ampeg? I find my single SWR 15" has more lows than the whole Mesa cab, but overall, it's an amazing sounding cab. I think my 15 might be on it's way out and i asked on here a little while ago (i'm about to bump it for a reason) of where to get a replacement (I was looking to an EV, as they came with EV or Eden speakers) but found the EV's are no longer made. My 10" in the 1516 might have blown as well as the past owner put an Eminence 10" in there, i'm looking to replace that to more of the original sound as well most likely, so yeah. You might be hard pressed to get an original one in there..

I'm also looking to add a 2x12/4x12 or 2x15 to this as well, should be interesting :) (Once i get a head that can do 2ohms, i might just run my two SWR cabs with the mesa)

3. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Best of luck with your 1516 as well. To me, I get great lows compared to my 8x10. My B string can finally be used! I just hope it's worth replacing the 10".

So the EV is what originally came in this? Anybody know if one of my Ampeg 10's from my 8x10 could work for testing purposes? (I just want to make sure my speaker is blown and has nothing to do with the wiring)

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    mine sounds great, but i have to turn up the volume, send an MP to Benjamin Strange, He's the Mesa pro !

5. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Ok, well I picked up a second 1516 today for dirt cheap :hyper:

I assume I can run both of these in stereo out of my SVT-4 Pro (use both at 4 ohms?) One of them is the older version (4 ohm @ 400), the other is the newer version (4 or 8 ohm)

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, my ones the older version i suppose... I would really like to find a newer one than can be selected at 4 or 8 ohms..

I'm having a bit of volume troubles with this cab.. Maybe not so much volume, but lows.. My single SWR WM's 15" sounds fuller, louder and bassier than the whole Mesa rig running at once.. The speakers seem to be working (The eminence 10" makes a little noise though), so is there something wrong, or is this cab just power hungry? All i heard about it was that it's loud and it cuts..

If you ever feel like sending that second 1516 to me, feel free :)

7. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I'm going to try out both of them tomorrow at practice, see if I can hear the lack of lows you're talking about and even compare the newer version to the older one.

From the short time I tried just 1 of the cabs (older one), the lows were massive compared to my Ampeg, but I can't give my opinions compared to your SWR...

But another thing I noticed, is that I had to turn the up the bass boost on my bass much more to get that extra oomph.