Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 1516B. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Feb 28, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, i've heard a couple good things about these cabs on here, so just looking for a bit more detail on them. I found a cheap one around here in Aus and am really interested in it. Just one first thing, does the B in the name mean anything? (I usually just see 1516). It's a PH and not RR version, but I don't mind for this price.

So yeah, what sort of sound would i be looking at? I suppose Mesa's normal clear and deep tone. Are these things punchy? Tight? Big low end? etc.

I'l also be getting a Mesa 600 or 400+ (If used) in the not too distant future, think these two would make a good pair?

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, also. it sais he's replaced the 10" with an Eminence Delta 10A, good or bad?

2. No idea what the "B" means (paging Ben Strange!) but if you can stand moving the brute around you'll probably be happy--the only one I've heard in person was at a concert by the band Cracker (remember them from about 10 yrs. ago? Good stuff.) and it just frickin' rocked.
    It's a big box that can handle a lot of power, loaded with (forgive me if I'm wrong) a 15" and 10" woofers and a horn of some sort. Inre: your tone questions, I'd have to say "all of the above." With that speaker array, and Mesa's yen for in-your-face tone, you're looking at full-range, high-volume insanity.
    What's wrong with it so that the owner's selling it off cheap? Mesas have to cost a mint in Australia.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
  4. I saw that cab on the bay, and was interested too. It's cheap as chips for a Boogie. Isn't that the Eminence speaker Avatar cabs uses? If so just ask one of the many Avatar owners about it.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm not sure... although you only hear good things about avatar really. I've been waiting a LONG time to get my hands on one of these, now that it's so cheap though, i'm not sure :p He does have 100% positive feedback though

6. I was about to start a thread about that same cabinet. Be sure to tell me anything you find out and I'll do the same.

happy bidding :D

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Arg, theres too many interested people... Now i'm edgy ;)

Yeah, I e-mailed him with a few questions, i'l let you know what he says.

8. If that many people are interested, pop it, try it, and if you don't like deduct the cost of becoming a Supporting Member and re-sell it here. Nevermind what I said before (thanks for the link; pretty pictures) if you live near the seller, go for it now even if the cover looks like a garbage bag. It looks too clean to pass up.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's the only problem. I'm in Melb, he's in Sydney. So I can't try it. I'l go for it anyway, because i don't need to sell my current cabs for it (SWR's). And I know I like Mesa cabs (Though this is kinda different..) and yes, if i don't like it, i'l just re-sell it..

THe only problem is.. No buy it now! :'(

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Arh! He put a buy it now on for $800Aus, and said he'l do a deal with the shipping for $900 all up. That's still dam worth it, yes? I just hope all speakers etc work...

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Done deal everyone. I'm the new owner of a Mesa/Boogie 1516B... Wow... Mesa :D

12. Congratulations, be sure to give us a review.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, so much for me being able to supply some info before you buy. But here goes:

The 1516 is my fav cab ever. It's loud, but very clear, and very aggressive. The B stands for bass. They did make a 1516be, with the E standing for Electrovoice, which was an option for upgrading the 10" from an Eden to and EV speaker. You can still get an EV 10" from Mesa if you want to put it back to stock.

The 400+ would be a great match; that cab was designed back when Boogie didn't even make SS amps. It was built for the 400+.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey, thanks ben. That's kinda what i'm looking for in it. Though i may want a bit more low end (Or have they got enough?)

I'l be getting it in the next couple weeks most likely (Hopefully in the next week) so i'l be sure to post a review. Anyone know how much the EV speakers go for? And what sound difference i'd get?