Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 2-15 efficiency?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am going to try out a Mesa diesel 2-15 EVs cab to mate with an Eden D-410 XLT.The Mesa is 4 Ohms and the Eden 8 ohms.

I know sometimes this works if the cabs have different sensitivity ratings.

I'm not running stereo, but will have to daisy chain them for a 2.7 load.

2. RB
    I would be careful doing that. I looked at your profile and the equipment you have seems very good, but that doesn't mean it will handle the load well or even sound good. I always feel comfortable knowing all the specs of all my signal chain and using caution. You could not only fry your amp but damage other components too. I admit I'm the "what if guy", but it has served me well. If your amp has to seperate working channels you can control in parallel or stero your very safe with mismatched impedances, but if not your computation is close with the 2.7 something. 2ohm is the least used of all impedance because it is the least amount of resistance and can really work your equipment hard. Again, know your stuff....
    JMHO:)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    More significantly for me would be the tone of a Mesa 2x15 paired up with a D410XLT (admittedly a cab I don't care for at all these days). The Eden is rather middy and nasally to me so I think pairing it with a Mesa 2x15 would be an "oil and water" type of thing. You're running a 400+, right? The impedance load shouldn't be a problem for that amp. As to sensitivity, my Mesa 2x15 (road ready and an older one with EV's) is rather efficient. Meaning, of course, LOUD!

4. Rockbobmel

I never went in and updated..

Mesa's lit talks about the 400+ paired with the 410 powerhouse.

So, I think they would be running a 2 ohm load with that.

5. Boogie is right, if you have a 400+ your all right, just plug each 4ohm speaker into one of each of the 2ohm marked outputs, and you will have your proper load.

6. Rockbobmel

Thanks, the 4-10 is an 8 ohm cab.
    I should still go into the 2 ohm tap, right?

7. I ran a similar set-up at one point and Mesa told me when running an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm can that one plugs into the 2 ohm output and the other into the 4 ohm output to balance out the two with the 2.66666 ohm load. I don't remember which tho'...(!)

8. Wrong I think.
    I always used two cabs of the same impedance. Maybe Mad knows something I don't. Call Boogie.

9. You can use 2.666 impedance with a 400+ no problem, just as I did for years. Fairly sure it was the 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm output and the 4 ohm cab into the 2 ohm output. Mesa will confirm this for you just as they did for me.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Makes sense.

11. Rockbobmel

Why screw around with the jacks? They're confusing anyway.

If I just daisy the cabs and go out of the 2 ohm output, the amp will see 2.6666, right?

12. Because your 4 ohm cab will be louder than your 8 ohm cab; that is why.
    :rolleyes:

13. Rockbobmel

Are you saying the Mesa will see two dfferent loads and handle them separately if I plug one into the 2, and the other into the 4 ????

That's why I wanted to know about the effeciency of the Mesa....

The Eden is 106 db

Full Circle.....?

14. Yup. Phone Mesa. 2x15 is super efficient, no worries there. I ran my old SWR Goliath cab (8ohms) and my old Diesel 2x15 (4 ohms) exactly this way with my 400+; same, same.

15. Rockbobmel

:cool: Thanks Mad Sub