1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa 2 15 or berg 2 15 for rock stand alone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pulse, Mar 16, 2008.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi

I have seen an old Mesa 2 x 15 Diesel road ready in my local store (they say 600w? but I thought it was 400 or 800 only), its old, seen some action, but had the best bass sound I have heard yet with my SVT II (in a store)

but it would break up quite early

I want a rock cab & a vintage sound.

does the berg nv 215 deliver that too

I only want one cab, the diesel looks the part but I was concerned that it started to complain at moderate levels, and I need to be very loud

The real test would be with my drummer. I used to think that it had to be 10s, then 12s and now I am wondering about 15s

:help:

2. BERG!

you won't be sorry

3. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The Mesa will almost surely be louder than the Berg. Not sure what your volume requirements are.

4. i have both. after i bought the mesa i stopped using the berg. the berg is not a bad cab at all, but the mesa is louder, punchier, and more "in your face"... as long as you get the 800watt version. i used to have the 400watt version and it left a lot to be desired, but i was blown away by the 800watt.

5. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks for the advice guys

I better check if that Mesa is really 400 or 800 watts

for sure had the sexiest ooozing bass sound I ever heard regardless

cheers

6. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    all right aparently its 800 watts

here we go, testing wednesday, cant wait

hope to have a monster cab like this

a dirty rock monster!

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

The Berg. NV cabs are the best cabs I've ever played.

The 2x15 is a great stand alone cab.

Fat, tight, defined, huge bottom.

The Berg. 2x15, and a tube head is the s**t.

8. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    i hear you dude and almost believe you!

but I got to hear it with my own ears and I cant order a cabinet from overseas and then take the test after I dropped my one and only grand on a cab i did not hear.

NV 215 looks gorgeous and every review I read on it says its dope

hell even Tom Bowlus says its his favourite cab

but he also said playing the mesa diesel 2 x15 was an awe inspiring experience

so its not a bad call to take the ol' mesa if it runs fine

cheaper and less risk my side

9. There is quite a weight diference between the two and you might want to take that into consideration before buying.

10. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    yes I think this is a good serious considedration. But since I was ill enough for all tube head weight ala SVT II, one of the heaviest amps out there, I always need a helping hand to move the rig, the head is a danger to lift alone, I also figured that the casters on the road ready cab will be cool for wheeling the two around together sometimes.

Ofcourse the less weight the better in General. Maybe this old cab is duff anyhows, will test wednesday, very important for me personally is that Cab sounds bad ass, and I mean ruff and all up in your face like another colleague mentioned earlier.

does the NV215 reach that kind of mean sound?

11. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    me too

man

its the best sound I ever had, I ever heard myself play through

enormous , chunky , round fat sound

awesome

****ing excellent!

and with my SVT II non pro, ecstasy

12. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    For a rock stand alone cab....neither IMO - get the NV610 its the shiz as a rock cab....

13. I play in a post hardcore/hardcore punk/rock/weird experimental stuff with the odd stoner metallish bit and it does a really really good job, awesome tight depth while still rattling the floor, does a bit of subtle drive nicely too, not had a chance to see what it's like with some heavier overdrive cos I need a better pedal to do it justice now.

This is all with my heavily underpowered head so once i get something a little more up to the task powerwise I'm gonna be very happy. Only thing it lacks is full on punchyness, I reckon (with my experience of 15s) it has quite a bit to it, and would have a hell of alot more with a more powerful amp, but I still reckon I'm gonna end up getting a 2x10 or something to stick on top for a little more punch. Gonna see how it goes with a new head first though.

Rambling aside it does rough and aggressive well, lent it to a few bands at a couple of gigs and can verify that from a crowd perspective too.

Might be worth checking the NV610 first though as Frosty said if you want a traditional 10s driven rock sound, but if your a 15 guy like me you won't be disappointed.

14. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Hartke also makes a 2x15...the VX series..paper cone 4 ohms. Handles 500 watts. I was thinking about getting one myself. Anyone know about those?

VX215-web.

15. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    hey thanks guys , but I decided on the Mesa

it sounded absolutley incredible last night and really improved my playing and the fun factor

its exactly what I always wanted from a cab

it mates with my >SVTII wonderfully, is really not a biggie to move around because of the casters, and I was able to try it in my band before commiting the money

<<the berg looks great, and if I ever need to replace my new (old mesa) it would be second in line to getting another one of these old mesas¨¨

Until >I get to play through one myself that is,

cheers and big fun with yer 2 x 15 s
    :)

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, I'd feel confident using either one in a rock setting, and in fact, I would prefer them to the NV610 for rock. But, that's just my personal preference. I could definitely see where others might prefer the NV610. Between the two, the Berg is tighter/smoother, and the Mesa is more aggressive, but man, I really love both of those cabs. If I did all of my own loading in/out, though, the Berg is much more easy to move/transport.

Tom.

17. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi Tom

Thanks for chipping in, if those days come where I need to move around on my own, I think a second rig of the NV215 and a TRAYNOR YBA 200 would be a nice easily mobile set up

but for my monster rig, which has a head thats already a reccomended 2 man lift (a flight cased SVT II) ... the agrresive Diesel 2x15 does not make life any different. Its all 2 man lifts.

So for the time being its fine. But its great to know the Berg is comparable.

Also for me this 15" sound is absolutley fantastic for what I want to do with rock,

its the best bass sonic experience I have had until now

18. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    If you could find a pre-Fender SWR Big Bertha 2x15, I think you would be quite happy.

Easy to transport, good power handeling and big sound.

19. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario

No doubt Tom - the more I play the NV215 the more I like it - it is highly addictive. For me it's difficult to move away from the NV610 in a rock setting once you have gotten used to the way it slices through loud rock guitars!!!!

If I ever practice with either one or play anything else except full on rock, I'm finding myself plugging into the NV215.

To the OP - I never owned one but have heard one countless times from an audience perspective and that Mesa is a great cab too....I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Frosty.