1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 212/115 or 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Hey guys need a little help here,
    Got my BB750 a week ago and am now thinking about cabs, Im a little stuck here about what cabs to go for. My first instinct was to go for 212/115 but then thought .. maybe a 610 would give me more of an impact in the band, I have 2 guitarists and a drummer Im pretty sure has ADHD to compete with lol
    Any opinions ? My tone is a deep and fat with warmth and punch. Think Alterbridge maybe ?
    Thanks

2. I Play stingrays and my stage set-up is a 400+ & powerhouse 1000..

if I had the BB750 I'd put it on a RR 1X15 & 2X10 cabs

3. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    If you're thinking Alter Bridge, one of my favorite bands, than you might consider the Mesa Boogie 4X12 PowerHouse cab. That's what Brian Marshall, their bass player, uses with his BB 750. It's about 9 inches taller and 2 pounds heavier than the PowerHouse 6X10. I think both cabs would sound killer with that head though! :bassist:

4. What I also may consider is 2 x 212, but I would be worried about loosing some lows ? I think its between 2 x212, 212/115 or a 610.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i would go with the 2x12 + 115 over the 610. the 12's will really bring out the grind of the BB. either setup will have plenty of low end. i would also pick the powerhouse 1000 over the 610. i've played them side by side and thought the 15 in the 1000 really added something over the 610.

if you do go any bigger, go for the 412 as others recommended.

JR

6. cool, I think the 610 is out of the running, too expensive aswell ! 2x212 or 212/115 now

7. order a 212 and take it from there maybe ? then think about what second cab to go for ?

8. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    hey man

I ended up going 4x10 + 1x15

9. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I like the new PH 1000 cabs a lot. Effing punchy as all get out.

10. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    410/115 is a good choice. The 212/115 gets muddy when you go loud!!

11. Cool, Im having second thoughts as well I think Im gonna have to rethink the whole 212 thing, but Ive heard so many good things about them ! Apparently the 212 is just as low as the 115 but tighter which is cool. How does it sound bc?

12. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The 212 is MY cab of choice. The Mesa is a good cab, most of them 8 ohms, and 2 sound incredible!! The 212/210 is also a good match. My personal preference just didnt care for the 212/115 combination. Just make sure you give the cab enough power to open it up ...

13. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    hey stingray,

check it out:

2x10 + 1x15

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IKjwS88xeH0

that is not me,
    but my setup will be close

14. [QUOTE

that is not me,
    but my setup will be close[/QUOTE]

Lol, I was just about to compliment you on that Wal! That video doesnt really capture my sound tbh way too clear and bright, Im more about the deep fat beefy side of things.

15. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Y'know which one(s) I'm gonna say you should go for! ;)

IMO, a 2x12 is more a replacement for a 1x15 than a 2x10, out of the ones I've tried.

So a 2x12 + 2x10 sounds like it would work pretty good.

...but I'm way partial to 12" drivers.

16. detracti, I was going to ask you something but i forgot, I actually have the opportunity to go for an aggie 412 for my bb750 more or less the same set up as you. Do you have any experience with powerhouse cabs to compare with ?

17. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    A little.

At the Guitar Center in San Francisco, I played the BB750 through a Powerhouse 1000 cab. Thought it sounded awesome, but I don't have a big vehicle to move it around with, so dismissed it.

At the local GC here, they had a Powerhouse 1x15 (and a 2x10) that I A/B'd with my Ampeg classic 1x15. The Powerhouse was clearer, and seemed capable of pushing any amount of volume thrown at it. The Ampeg, otoh, took only so much and then farted out.

From my limited exposure, I'm guessing they'd get hella loud, while staying crystal clear.

The Aggies, as I percieve, stay tight, but get a little more wooly as they get louder. Sort of a vintage vibe, I guess. Or maybe its just the ratfur on the outside that has me thinking that ;)

Bottom line is that both Aggies (I know) and Mesas (I suspect) perform amazingly when cranked.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    2x12/1x15 sounds like it would "bring it" more. Those cabs are both lighter than the 4x10 (which would be my choice). What tuning are you playing in?

19. I use the Mesa Boogie 4x12 and it is quite beastly.
    I play in D, and the lows are there, and quite punchy as well.
    Im sold on the 12's because they provide the low end of a bigger speaker, yet still remain tight like 10's

Its a very very very happy medium

20. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Yeah, I'm with that 12's all the way!