Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 295 Poweramp for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, May 6, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone tried this or do you think it would work.
    2x95W alltube should be enough for me.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What do you think (even if you dont have firsthand experience with one)?

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It will probably work fine as in it will function properly. Whether or not it sounds good is another question.

4. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    It would make for an awfully heavy 180w bass amp.

The 295 was designed to be used with their guitar preamps as part of a stereo guitar rig. However I imagine its frequency response would be suitable, along with a decent preamp, for bass work.

I think you'd be better off with something lighter and more powerful like a Stewart power amp.

5. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    The Stereo Simul- Class 2:Ninety seems to be very guitar oriented. I would fear the transformers might cut a lot of bass. It may also be voiced to favor guitar. This may be to your liking, however.

A better choice might be to find an old, Strategy 400 Stereo. The Strategy 400 is a stereo power amp. It is designed for use in home theater / bass / guitar / studio applications. It is not “voiced” in any way. I have seen this amp used very successfully both for stereo bass and stereo “high-end” in a bi-amp system. I think it is discontinued, try Ebay.