1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa 2x12 bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timi, Aug 15, 2007.

1. About time I signed up here.....

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with the Mesa Powerhouse 2x12 bass cabs?

I currently have an Ampeg SVT115 but like the idea of higher power handling and having 2x12s for slightly more surface area and punch.

Their newish "vintage powerhouse" series looks like the one I would go for, I'm only concerned about the horn. From the looks of the back panel you can reduce it by -2dB, but can you actually turn it off or do you have to go inside and disconnect it?

Incase anyone recommends I add another cab to compliment the 1x15, I only want to have one small cab, as I also own an 8x10.

Any help would be really cool!

2. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    just to add something here, I'm looking for a new cab, and I'm guessing between a 2x12 or a 4x10?
    I plan on owning both through the next few months, but for starters, which do you recomend foran active custom 5 string that needs power and punch?
    (and its ran through a mesa m pulse 600)

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've been posting a lot about the mesa 1x12s this week ... which I liked enough in a shop demo to order a pair. The 4x12 is also awesome, so while I didn't try the 2x12, I'm pretty sure its a rockin cab. The sound is similar to an Aguilar 12" cab but with a bit more presence and bite, a little less poilite. At least thats my initial impression ... I'll post a review once I have had the mini-stack a while.

On the 2x12 vs 4x10 thing ... big difference in tone, but in general I think the 2x12 is a much more practical cab because it weighs so much less and the output level is pretty close... but the Mesa 10" cabs do sound killer. The 10"s are very focussed and rock sounding, the 12"s are fatter, furrier, and squishier but still have a fast leading edge. Both are fine/equal for 5 string. All of mesa's new cabs are rock-solid down low. Personally I'd play some 10"s and 12"s (of any brand) and decide on one or the other. I don't like mixing them. YMMV. If the 4x12 or 8x10 will fit in your car, those cabs sound huge and you get a lot more bang for your buck than with a pair of smaller cabs (+ they are actually easier to move IME)

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Those +2 and -2 db markings are just for reference. The control rotates way past that.

5. So you are able to turn the horn off completely? I guess it doesn't really matter as I can just disconnect it anyway....

Would you be able to make a comparison between Mesa and Ampeg cabs?

I will probably go and try one of the 2x12's next week, looking forward to it!

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    yes, you can turn off the tweeter on all Mesa cabs by turning the level all the way down (full cut).

7. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    what would be the con of running a 2x12 and a 4x10 exactly?
    cause I don't like to use 15s, and I still want the slight woofy effect of bigger speakers, but eed the response of 10s!
    as far as a 8x10 r 4x12 are concerned, there's just about no chance, i don't have roadies at hand nor would the cabs fit in my car:D

8. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    But does that allow the frequencys the tweeter was carrying to now be sent to the speaker or are they just eliminated now.

9. They will be eliminated, just the way I like it :)

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    No con in particular, I just tried it with Aguilar cabs and really didn't like it. The two cabs sound so different that I felt like any EQ setting that made one of them sound good made the other sound awful.

I'd try some 10's or 12's, and then buy however many you need of the one you like better. I certainly don't see a benefit to combining them, unless the real plan is to just use one or the other depending on the gig.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Ampeg doesn't make anything that would compare to the 2x12. For the 4x10s, the mesa should be louder and have more true lows (since its ported and the ampeg is sealed), and be a little more "hi fi", but otherwise have a similar vibe. Ampeg fans would call it "tighter" and more aggressive.