1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa 2X12 vs Aguilar DB 2X12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brett7276, Oct 21, 2009.

1. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    curious if anybody had any thoughts on vs the other...pairing it with a DB750.
    Thanks

2. While I currently use a 4ohm powerhouse 212 and love it, I tend to encourage matching heads and cabs of the same manufacturer.

3. brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    just more wondering how the two compare

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I actually prefer the Mesa PH410 over the 212 in the few ear tests I've had with them (with an M6 Carbine). Can't really compare the DB212 since I haven't heard it :)

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Both great sounding cabs, it's gonna be up to your ears which you'd like better. All we can do is tell you which we'd prefer.

6. brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    thanks for the thoughts

7. I pounded on a Mesa PH212 with a LM III and a Rockbass a week or so ago.

The mesa PH 212 was built like a brick sanitary facility....boomin' bass. Clean as a whistle (a very low one.) 78 lbs, tho, but big casters and rugged handles. Very Nice.

No Aguilar exposure at all.

8. I have a DB750, PH212 and PH210. Great sound. I haven't played an Aguilar cab, but my guess is the Mesa is more midrangey and that is just a guess. The Mesa has more mids than any other cab I've played. I could be wrong, again I've never played the Aguilar, that is just my expectation. The PH 212 is really a great cab, I have no complaints. Very full sounding, more midrange than any other cab I've played, SWR and Eden included. I have no doubt the Aguilar would be just as good, but with a different focus. My hunch is that the Aguilar would be smoother, but just an assumption. For whatever reason, I'd expect the Aguilar to sound similar to a GK, SWR or Eden cab. There's no bad choice. I know none of this helps, but those are my thoughts.

9. brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    no thank you!!, your thoughts are much appreciated!

10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I had the DB212 for a day and returned it - it sounded very congested for lack of a better description. I own a lot of cabs with 12's and was highly disappointed with this one.

The Mesa 2x12 and 4x12's I have played are great sounding. Nice and clear, strong lows, built like tanks.

11. brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    well today I found a pawnshop special - the mesa one of everything cabinet with EV's for $300- bought it gonna re tolex it and add a sliver grill cloth to make it look like an aggie cab...it rips- strangley- it sounds a lot like my 400+ with the powerhouse cab....with 12 less tubes to maintain- was kind of disapointed at first with the Aggie and the Ashdown cab I had- I expected to be blown away by the 750 as all the rave review it gets...and left thinking- I really like my 400+ better- I just hate having to worry at shows about 12 power tubes- think this will be a winner for a giging amp now....
    Thanks for all the suggestions and info guys!