Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 2x15 as a standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo'Phat, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Mesa 4x10 by itself

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Mesa 2x15 by itself

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. always use both, just push the rhythm guitarist off the stage.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. I've got a 4x10 and a 2x15, and it's normally way too much for my normal gigs. Which would be the better all-around cab to use? I play funk, rock, and hard rock, with reggae and ska thrown in.

The 2x15 has a horn, so I'm wondering if I'm losing some vital frequencies just using the 2x15. Playing 4's and 6's through a 400+.

Thanks in advance for the opinions

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you can manage to haul it, that Mesa 2x15 would be the way to go, IMHO. Is it an older model RR or Diesel? I very nearly bought a Diesel 2x15, but opted for the Diesel 4x10 based upon portability issues. Still, that 2x15 sounded incredible.

Tom.

3. They're both actually the newer Powerhouse series, with the vinyl covering and PAS speakers.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, then I'd say pick whichever one sounds the best to you, and take that one. If the 2x15 sounds good to you, you must not be missing any "vital" frequencies. The older Mesa 2x15's were great full-range cabinets, although I have not heard the Powerhouse 2x15. I have heard the newer Powerhouse 4x10 and 2x10's, and in my opinion, they are not an improvement over the RR and Diesel cabs.

Tom.

5. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Flea from R.H.C.P. used (maybe he still uses them, I don't know) Mesa 2x15 as standalones with Gallien Krueger 800RB. Hope this helps...

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    no hes using 3 GK 4x10 and 3 GK 1x15 with GK amps

7. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i use a mesa RR 2x15 with a mid 70's SVT.

can you say ROCK?

dave

8. I used to run a Mesa Boogie Bass 400 head with a Road Ready 215 with EV's and a Diesel 210 cab.

9. I've always been the biggest fan of 15's, and figured the weight to tone ratio is in my favor to go with a 115 lb 2x15 than a 90 lb 4x10. If you have a horn in the 2x15, why would you worry about missing frequencies; to me the 15s emphasize the frequencies I want anyway!

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, I don't have a Mesa 215, but I wanted to chime in anyway.

I use a 215 with Black Widows in it. I keep trying to sell it, but then I realize how great it is. I am getting ready to pair it up with a Eden Metro. Should sound sweet!

-Mike

11. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini

Well, he is using it now but he did use Mesa 2x15 cabinets in the past. Here is quote from Flea's interview for Bassplayer magazine (you can find whole interview in bassplayer's archive).

BP: "Did you use your G-K amp and MESA/Boogie speakers?"

FLEA: "Yeah-an 800RB head with a MESA/Boogie 2x15; I like the way they sound together. I'm not picky when it comes to equipment, but I like it to sound good and to work right. I've tried a bunch of different stuff, but I haven't found anything else as good."

And he plays funk...