Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 2x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 31, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How much does the Mesa Diesel 2x15 cabs weigh?
    Is it worth the work dragging it around?

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I was dragging around 50kg (100lbs) combo for years. NEVER ANYMORE!

3. I found mine quite portable. Handles positioned well, and really not that heavy, considering. Easier to move than your average 4x10 IMO. You'd have to REALLY appreciate the tone to want to do that of course....

4. cthesick

cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK
    how much did you all pay for your mesa 215's i'm currently in the process of saving up for them and the 410's and wondered what the overall price would be. closest price i could get was that of the powerhouse 1000 and it was $1200.00

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I had a heavy 215 by Acoustic some years ago with recessed wheels and handle bar.
    Very easy to move as long as there are no stairs...
    Loading and unloading from the car is easy as well - if your car is large enough...

I came to the conclusion that I prefer cabs which I can carry by myself and ended up buying a 212...

Matthias

PS: For more flexibility and better handling I would get two 115's. If you need the physical presence of a refrigerator-sized cab behind you, there's no way around anyway...

6. Don't recall...part of a trade in I think...Quite the while ago. $750?? If I were to do it again I would get 400w EV's not the regular 200w jobbies. An 800w cab will give you the headroom you need. Mesa makes great stuff that works in the "real" world, not just in your local music store. May not sound outstanding solo, but in a band context it sits well in the mix.

7. I am on the hunt for a small 2x15" that is good down to 30Hz. If anyone stumbles across this.....??

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How tall are these cabs?
    Would it be possible to saw it in half and ad a new bottom? :rolleyes:
    I can buy it at a great price. $350
    [​IMG]

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    They weigh 100-110 lbs. I have two Mesa cabs this size. I've been playing them for the past 12 years and I still don't complain hauling them around. They have wheels which is cake for moving them in an around, and you can easily load by tilting them into your truck bed, or like when I had a Honda Accord 4dr, lilt into the back seat.

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Thats not that heavy.
    Does it have separate chambers for each speaker or are they in the same enclosure?

11. I don't remember about the chamber thing but my old Diesel, exactly like that last one was a great cab, just not enough headroom for me. They are tuned very well and mine was VERY portable, easy to get it around by myself. $350 is a killer deal guy...buy it regardless. Sell it for more if you don't like it. I once ran my 400+, 2x15", RR2x10+RR1x15. That was a breathtaking experiance...while it lasted!!

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What?!:eek:
    What do you play? Arenas?

13. I had visions of world domination in my head at the time. Played a few big stages but all that bass gear tends to increase in mass during a paticularily intense set making 3am load out allot more challenging that the 7pm load in. That's my theory at least! Sound guys just loved me.......
    :p

14. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
  15. Phew! Brings back memories....That one 400+ could be running both those cabs? Why the second amp?

16. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes. That is one mean looking rig.:cool:
    What are the dimensions of the 215 cab?

17. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The heads are: '86 D180 with same year 215 cab, and an '88 400 (not plus) with same year 1516 cab.

The story of me aquiring my Mesa's is a long one.

An old friend originally owned the D180/215 rig, and I borrowed it a few times during '91 for outdoor gigs. Shortly, I found the 400/1516 rig used in SoCal in late 91. Supposedly it was originally owned by Joe Walsh's bassist (FWIW).
    In about late '93 my friend went through a divorce...I bought the 215 cab and another buddy bought the D180. In '95 my buddy didn't want the D180 anymore so I bought it. In '98 he wanted to buy the D180 back, so I sold it to him, although I later wished I hadn't. Finally, in Jan '01 he asked if I wanted the D180 back, which I obviously jumped on. I'll never sell any of them off now.
    That's why I have 2 heads/full rigs.

The D180 head is used in the practice studio, while the 400 head is used for gigs. Both cabs usually travel along.