mesa 400+/1516 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anderbass, Feb 5, 2006.

1. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I found a mesa 400+ and 1516 cab, (1x15-1x10-2x6-tweeter) for sale. Both head and cab look like new and are mounted in mesa-boogie road ready cases (head case looks like its shock mounted). price $1200 out the door. I was wondering if any one knew the value of this rig, any info on how this cab/head sound together and any posible problems that I should look for.
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    If it works, I'd pick it up (if you like the tone). Not a bad deal at all. That cabinet is fun, though pretty heavy (SVT territory), and the one I played had a rattle, but it was fixed by a quick go-over with a screwdriver.
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It isnt a bad price. 400+ go for about $800 on ebay, around $1500 new (I believe). I would haggle it down a bit, unless the cabinet is from the Roadready series (basically built in a case). This is because I doubt the cabinet is all that new- it is probably pretty old given that they havent made them for quite some time. The cab should be loud enough for most venues, but probably not quite as hi-fi sounding as newer Powerhouse stuff.
  4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I'd go for this the price a little if you can, but I used to use this setup and it was very very nice sounding. I wish I hadn't had to sell mine. I loved the full range sound of the 1516 cab. And the head is just tube goodness.
  5. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    thats a pretty reasonable price for the condition that they are in, especially if they are both road ready. but hey, it wouldn'y hurt to try.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're cool with transporting that large and heavy of a cab, then it's a good deal.

The head alone is worth 7-900, so you'd be paying 3-500 for the cab.
  7. If you like it, do it. Decent price though it might not hurt to try haggling. Those cabs are relatively rare. If it all works ok... it will sound BETTER than the new cabs.
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It seems just a tad steep. I'd try to haggle it down to about $1100.
  9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

10. the 1516 is a relatively rare cab. meaning there aren't a lot of them about, but they do pop up from time to time. they are no longer made. if the amp and cab mentioned both function correctly, the resultant sound will be superior to the sound of mesa's current cabs with a similar head. if either the head or the cab are not functioning correctly, the sound if any may well prove displeasing.
  11. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    I have the 1516b RR, the same cab your mentioning, but mine has an upgraded eden speaker version. Soundwise. This cab is genuinly great. There is alot of talk with this cab, people say that it is to aggressive. and its true. mesa's crossovers are excellent. A perfect sound. but very aggressive. and isnt that what you want for a rock/metal gig.
    but there is always a but. Im planning on getting rid of mine due to the weight. the size would be fine, but the +150 is deadly. we practice in the basement and stairs are very evil. the majority of the shows are up/down stairs. if you practice and have an elevator or no stairs. Get this cab!!. simply amazing. it has great reviews online, like harmony central, my dream rig was going to be the 400+ 210RR and the 1516 RR. i bought the biggest cab first and i didnt need the 210. but its very heavy.
  12. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    After reading all your great replys, I grabed my trusty p-bass and went on down to the pawn shop in search of sonic bliss . The salesman did the hook up, switched it on and nothing happened. He checked the 110, then pulled the fuse, It was blown. The shop had no fuses and was very buisy, so I went on a quest for 8 amp slow blow fuses. With a new fuse in, he switched it on and nothing. Yep the fuse blew again he said. He tryed using a diferent speaker / cable and all the fuses we had, he blew the whole pack. Now after reserching the 400+ here on t/b, I knew thay were suposed to be very reliable amps and Im thinking to myself, This thing probably just needs tubes so I offer the guy $500 for the rig as is. he went for it! I had him plug the boogie cab into another amp. It sounded very good. So I got my new rig home, popped a new fuse in and the amp worked. I played it loud for a couple hours. The fuse has not blown and It sounds truly amazing. I didnt have my glasses at the store and could not read the speaker output labeling, but I know where he plugged it in. I know he had a 4 ohm speaker plugged into the 2 ohm tap. Could this have caused the fuse blowing problem at the store? for a test, I did try plugging the cab back into the 2 ohm tap and powering up, But The fuse did not blow. I also see that one of the power tubes is glowing much brighter, and another one much dimmer than all the rest (looks to be origanal mesa tubes) Could the combination of pluging a 4 ohm speaker into the 2 ohm tap and a amp not turned on for a long time (discharged caps) and/or bad tubes have caused the blown fuses? Even if i need to spend some bucks on this thing, I still got a 400+ in road ready (sus-4 shock mount system)rack and a 1516be cab in road ready case, all in realy nice shape for $500
  13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Good deal man!

Now take that extra cash you saved and head on over to the Eurotubes site and buy a new set of matched tubes for that amp.

And quit screwin' with the wrong taps for the cab! No need to invite disaster.
  14. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Dude, excellent score:hyper:

I agree, definetly get some tubes for that bad-boy.

I just picked up a 400+ in a trade with a TB'er and the first time I used it, in all my excitement, I forgot to plug into the cab before I turned it on.
    After correcting my mistake, when I flipped the 'standby' switch, I blew a fuse.

Ran to Radio Shack, replaced the fuse, and have been in Mesa tube-heaven ever since.:bassist:

Post a pic, bro... i'd love to see it.
  15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    All I have to say is... Woah! Thats so awesome. Though the Ohm tap definately caused the problem, it should not have blown a fuse by itself. I would have a tech check out the head and get a new set of tubes (you should have enough $$ now). But thats such an awesome deal!
  16. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Tube amps are pretty simple from what I hear. Basically all you are paying for is tone. I would still get the amp checked out. Sounds like any repairs would be minimal. The most common things I have heard of that make tube amps blow fuses is bad filter caps (inexpensive fix) and a cracked tube or something.

You got a hell of a deal.
  17. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    With no signal being put into it, IE just turning it on, no speaker, wrong tap, or dead short won't make a difference. No output means no power draw, and no fuse problem. If it has not been run for a while, the problem is probably a bad cap, or a shorted tube (which, being a mechanical issue, may have cleared on the trip home . . . . .) At any rate, if you got it to work, then there can't be much of a problem, if any, with the unit, and I am jealous as heck! I have been looking for a Bass 400/400+ with a problem as a "project amp" and couldn't find one (the only one I did find, the seller vaporized as soon as I said he would get cash upon pickup - obvious scam) and you stumble into this deal . . . . .

- Tim
  18. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    View attachment 29437 Heres a pic of my new tone monster. It's still working great. (no more blown fuses) I'm going to check into some new tubes soon. I can't wait for band practice this weekend. After playing this rig for a while, I have a feeling it's going to cut through with my rock band, much better than my old rig. I never could tweek my swr bass 750/rbI/goliath II/big ben to a point where I could stand the tone, and cut through a very busy and overly bassy guitarist. This new rig is mucho punchy and seems to have a room filling sound without being overly sub-bassy with the knobs set at mid 10 / bass 2 / treb. 2 / master around 3 / #2 pre 6 / #1 pre 10 with a (a-b-y pedal) Into both chanels. You guys have any other 400+ tricks or knob setting wisdom for me? This new rig is truly BASS-A-LICOUS !
  19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Don't forget those pull shifts on the tone knobs...if you pull them both out, they move the affected bands in towards the mids...lots o' punch!
  20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Holy crap that's great looking! Hope the amp works out for you. A 1516 and a 2x15 are somewhere on my rather short list of "must-have" cabs.