Mesa 400+ & Ampeg 2x15=POOP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tualatin, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    O.k, I need some of your brains. I just bought a brand new(possible floor model) Mesa 400+ and a brand new Ampeg 2x15 cab. I'm playing out of a Tobias (gibson) 4strg W/Bartolini humbucker. Th bass is setup for dropped A tuning (A,E,A,D) and I just spent $160 on some minor electronic repairs and a setup, just to be sure the bass wasn't the culprit here. That said, My rig sounds like SH@%. With the master on 7, the volume on 3, the EQ off, the EQ Knobs all at -5, 4ohm cab plugged into the 4ohm output, the bass an treble preamp on the bass barely over half and even the bass volume turned down a notch, the amp is breaking up (and by breaking up, I mean the most bowel destroying fart you've ever heard time's like...a million). My one guitar player has his triple rectifier stack on 3, and the other has his superlead 100 on 2. With my master on 7 and the volume on 6, the bass just starts to come through. I've tried every different combination of settings. High volume, low master. No EQ, Full EQ. My Guitar player is convinced the Mesa's are designed to only be played w/each other, i.e. mesa head=mesa cab. If you can offer any input or advice I will carry your child.
    Thanks. :help:
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Have you tried a different cab? Its possible from your description of the sound that one or more of the speakers in that cab are wired out of phase.

How are the tubes in the 400+???
  3. Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    I'll have the opportunity to play through a mesa 2x15, and possibly an additional mesa 18 tomorrow night. As far as the tubes, their all lit up and glow blue when I go boom boom. Could it being a floor item have led to any damage or excess wear from people turning it on and off improperly? What can I look for?
  4. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Or it being turned on numerous times on the showroom without a speaker load?
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

WHERE did you buy it?
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    At your settings there shouldn't be any farting. The weak link may be the Ampeg cab. Take it back to the store and plug it into two Mesa or Eden 4x10 cabinets and see what happens. If it's still farting you may have a tube problem. If the farting goes away, the Ampeg cab will make a good trade-in. :smug:
  7. Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    guitar center
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Take that stuff back my good man, so long as you're within 30 days of the purchase date they have to take it back, company policy. Try a different cabinet, I run my 400+ through an Avatar B410 Delta and it sounds righteous to me.... Still has the stock tubes too, but only for five more days.
  9. Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    I guess I will take it back. I'm worried that with how low we're tuned down, that an 8x10 might not handle those low freq, especially rehersing 5-6 nights a week repeatedly. The salesman had to have this cab sent from cali since it was one of the only 2x15 available in the chain. I wanted a mesa but ampeg was all they had.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dude....never settle for something you don't really want. Your guitar player is not making much sense. Mesa does not design their gear to be played with only other pieces of Mesa gear. The problem is not the fact that the cab is another brand. It may be the cab, but not solely based on the fact that it is not Mesa.

I'd take it straight back to GC also. Who knows how much that amp was abused before it got put in your car. Same goes with the cab. Since it is within your 30 days, don't even hassle with it.

As far as what the problem could be if you had to keep it.....I would look hard at the cab. I don't know much about tubes, but you could have an issue with them. That is not a cheap fix...replacing the tubes.

11. what input are you using? according to Mesa, in-1 is for passive basses and in-2 is for actives..also try reducing the volume and raising the master...just a thought.
  12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I run a M-Pulse 600 into a SVT-115E and SVT-410HE. It has an excellent sound, but no where close to the sound of a Powerhouse 1000 or PH 4x10 and 1x15. I suggest you take the ampeg back, try the 400+ on all the cabs they have, and hopefully it will conclude that the cab is borked and you can get a shiny new Mesa.
  13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

GC=Abused Child
  14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm running a Mesa M-Pulse 600 into an SWR 8x10 and if sounds fantastic.

I would check the tubes, and give the rest of the head a good "once-over" as well. Being a potential floor model it might have some problems that could be easily fixed.
  15. Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    I hooked up the head to a mesa 2x15 diesel cab and a mesa 18 cab as well. Still breaking up. With the third e.q. from the left( I forget what freq) all the way down it breaks up the least. I'll be at guitar center tomarrow.