Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ and AB/Y switching question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Nov 13, 2005.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey guys,
    I recently just bought a used Mea/Boogie 400+ for a great price and im absolutely in love with it. The tone is to die for. It goes from nice, warm, and round to dirty and overdriven by just pumping the volume. Ive never really been into bass distortion pedals, but I like a gritty sound and I think this amp is a perfect way to get a real overdrive/distortion kind of sound witihout too much trouble.
    So now I have a question.....
    I know that this amp has two inputs with pretty different sounds, and I was wondering... I've heard of people using an AB/Y (i think) switchbox to switch between the two inputs and Im intrigued by the idea. Am I right about the ab/y box or is it a different kind of switcher that I'm looking for? Also, if I did do this, what kind of benefits would I have? it seems like the only seperate controls are the channel volumes so having two seperate eqs is out of the question, or is it?
    Thanks guys,
    -Alex

2. Alot of people say they get the best sound by using an ABY cable, so your basically using both inputs all the time

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I recently bought a new 400+ and like you I love its tone. After a month or so I purchased an A/B/Y splitter pedal then found that I liked the tone into both inputs so much that I was not using the A or B options, just the A+B. So my advice would be to keep it simple and just get a Y cable - or do what I did which was to get a splitter input jack (the type where you can plug two jacks into the top), plug your standard bass cable into one side and use a short effects pedal lead to go into the other amp input. I can certainly recommend using both inputs at once, it seems to add depth (for want of a better word) to the sound.

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    ohh thats pretty cool

so using both inputs at once sounds better and doesnt damage the amp?
    sounds good to me....

edit: also, where would I find such a cable?

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    radio shack

or like, circuit city

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I use a simple Y cord with mine.

7. Or you can do Like I did and get a Rickenbacker and run one pickup into each input lol. But if You use effects running both inputs can be very nice since you can run clean into one input for you fundemental and everything and the other input with effects. But I have to agree with everyone it sounds best using both inputs simultaneously with any of my basses.

8. hello..

I'd like to use both inputs, one for distorted signal and one for a clean one. I have no ABY Cord or Box, but I have a GT 6 B which has two outputs.
    I don't use any distortion from the GT 6 B, because i don't like it, but I will soon buy a Fulltone bassdrive and a EHX Tube zipper. So would this work and would it be ok?:

Bass-->Input of GT 6B-->Output 1 of GT 6B: clean signal to Input 1 of Mesa 400+; -->Output 2 of GT 6B-->Tube Zipper-->Fulltone bassdrive-->Input 2 of Mesa 400+

I know that the other effects from the GT 6B will go into both inputs, but that's what I want, I just want to separate the clean and the distorted signal!

thanks