Mesa 400+ and Aguilar cabs ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maxcoleman, Feb 4, 2004.

1. I would like to know if anyone has tried a Mesa 400+ with Aguilar cabs. I have a Mesa 400+ and a 4x10 Powerhouse cab but would like to downsize the cab to something more portable and was thinking that the Aguilar 212 or a pair of 112s might be a good solution. There has been a lot of postive comment about these cabs on this forum but I couldnt find anything about them working OK or otherwise with a Mesa 400+.

I was also considering Epifani and Bergantino but I have read that they are not so good with the Mesa 400+ at high volumes. So now I am thinking about Aguilar.

I am not in a position where I can try out these cabs very easily so I would really appreciate some comments and guidance from others who have already had some experience.
  2. Yep, 400+ is NOT powerful enough for Bergantino HT series cabs, but however it's sounded great with my Bergantino NV610 which is a sealed cab and must have made the difference. I also had and Epi 212 cab for awhile it had the same thing going on as the Berg HT's. They all sounded fabulous at medium to low volumes but started to have the clipping effect at higher vol's. I would imagine the Aggies are similar but somewhere in between like an Eden 410xlt which I also had with my former 400+. If you can try an NV610, think WOW!
  3. My main concern is to improve the portability over a 4x10 cab. I suppose 2 2x10s would work but I was hoping for something even smaller like the 1x12s. Any suggestions?
  4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I think it would sound great with two 1-12 cabs. I do not think that the ags are like the epifani and Bergantino as far as the way they handle power. That is the rig I am going for Mesa 400 or 400+ and 2 aguilar 1-12 cabs.
  5. Are the ags more efficient and/or less hifi than the epifani and bergantino. If so, is that why they should work better with 400+.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use a Mesa Mpulse600 with Aguilar Cabs. I have 2 GS112's and 1 GS410. In all cases, the Mesa sounds phenominal with the Aguilar Cabs. It's really weird that Mesa heads and Aguilar cabs sound really great together. I tried the Mesa through a series of other cabinets before purchasing the Aguilar Cabs (Eden, SWR, Ampeg, Epi...etc), and I found that for some reason the Mesa heads sound really good with the Aggie Cabs. I don't know about the 400+, but I would imagine that would sound great as well. The only thing that even came close to sounding as good with the Mesa heads were Mesa's own cabs, but oddly enough I didn't think they sounded as good as the mesa mpulse and the Aguilar Cabs. These are all subjective opinions of course.
  7. I failed to mention that the 400+ sounded good with the small Bergies and I think would power them o.k. but they are very small and the Mesa in a rack case might be front heavy on the mighty little Bergs. You need to try them out live to really know for sure. Any cabs....
    It sound like the Ags might be right for you... still check it out yourself.
  8. Thanks to everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

Would be also good to hear from anyone who is actually using Aguilar cabs with the Mesa 400+