Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ and Ampeg BSE 410 HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hounddog, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    The 400+ claims the output is 500W @ 2 Ohms. It doesnt say how many Watts at 4 Ohms. The Ampeg Cab says it will handle 400W @ 4 Ohms. I am eventually going to get a Mesa Roadready 410 Cab for the Mesa 400+ but I dont have the cash right now. Will I in any way harm the Cab by playing the Mesa 400+ through it ? Do I need a Cab with 2 Ohms impedence with this head ? Thanks in advance.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its a tube amp. Its the same wattage no matter what impedance; just plug into the correct impedance jack and your set. And the 500 watts is peak, RMS is about 300. But 300 watts all tube is all you will ever need, and its one of the loudest all in one head (not rack) you can get. I'm sure it will be just fine with the Ampeg as long as you don't turn up too much.

3. That combination will be sweeeeet! The Ampeg requires power to make it move and the mesa has it - plug and play! enjoy!

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You'll be fine...

5. The 400+ will give you full power at 8, 4 or 2 Ohms, that's an advantage of an output transformer. :D No matter what Mesa's marketing says, the 400+ is a 300W amp. That being said, it's a great amp and loud too.... You should have no problem running that cab, just make sure the impedance selector switch on the amp is set to 4 Ohms.

6. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Thanks for the help.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Unless you have a very different 400+ than I do...there's no impedance switch on the amp. You DO on the other hand have 3 sets of outputs to choose from. Make sure that you use the taps for the 'cumulative' impedance...thus, if you have 2 8ohm cabs, make sure you use the 4 ohm outputs...if you have 4ohm cab, use a single 4 ohm tap, etc.

Also, make sure you have a cab plugged in when you turn your amp on. It doesn't like to run without a 'load', and will fry.

8. I see a lot of amps and I can't always remember which ones have switches. My bad on the 400+. ;)
    Yes, just use the right set of outputs.:D