Mesa 400+ cab configuration question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zharlon, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    With my 400+ I have never used more than one cab(an EDEN 410)...I know that with 2 8ohm cabs, if ya chain em together you plug into the 4ohm out....anyone who has a 400+ knows there are 2 output jacks for each impeadence output ...2ohm,4ohm,8ohm.....this might seem like an stupid question, but due to the nature of tube heads I wanted to be sure....if I had say....2 8ohm cabs, does it make any difference if I plug EACH cab into one of the 2 output jacks(for the 8ohm) as opposed to chaining them together and pluging into a SINGLE 4 ohm jack? ...also I was wondering if I had 2 cabs one 4ohm and another 8 ohm...could I individually plug them into the respective output essence running a 4ohm and an 8ohm at the SAME time? ...sorry if this sounds confusing, but I have an extra cab sitting around at 4ohms as opposed to my mainsaty 8ohm and would enjoy blasting both of em...
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Use the jacks that correspond to your total load. In your stated case, you would use the 2 ohm jacks for the 8 and 4 cab run together. In answer to your other question, it makes no difference whether you daisy chain them or plug them individually, as long as your total load (i.e. 4 ohms for two 8 ohm cabs) is plugged into the 4 ohm jacks. DO NOT plug two 8 ohm cabs into the 8 ohm jacks individually!
  3. Mesa customer service passed along a nifty trick to me specifically for this situation. The 8ohm goes into the 4 ohm output and the 4ohm cab you plug into 8 ohm jack. The idea here being that the cabs end up reasonably balanced w/o the 4ohm smothering the 8's lower volume. Confirm this with them in case I have reversed this or something (ages ago y'know.) Worked very well for when my 400+ was driving my old 4 ohm 2x15 diesel and 8 ohm SWR goliath. Ah, the good old days...
  4. Mad, that is nifty. I did not know that..
    I would like to know if that is verified by Mesa too. 8ohm into 4ohm input and 4ohm into 8ohm input. Pretty clever if it works, sounds like it should.

Otherwise what they said. Mesa manuals suck, xerox copies of crap, come on.... great equipment though.

I usually just plug two 8ohm speakers into the two 4ohm jacks. The amp interpets this as 8ohms x 2 = 4ohm load. I don't know why they do it like that because most of us get a headache trying to remember even though it's simple. I finally just put some write on labels near the jack to remind myself, because I had so many cabs at the time.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I had it even worse than that. I've got a Boogie Coliseum 300, which is a stereo power amp, and it has two jacks PER SIDE for 16, 8, and 4 ohms. Took me a while to figure that out.

Do what the guys said, plug it in to the total ohm load. Two 16 ohm cabs go into the two 8 ohm jacks, two 8 ohm cabs go into the 4 ohm jacks, etc.
  6. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Awsome replies.......once again it is confirmed to me why I spend so much time glued to this site...wisdom and experience abounds!