1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa 400+ cab coupling?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Apr 10, 2009.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Hey everyone I've recently aquired a little bit of money so I plan to buy a cab in the near future which will eventually work towards a new set up with a Mesa 400+ on top. My question was then what cabs work well with the amp for a more stoner rock fuzzy tone?

I've been looking at a SVT-410HE but I've heard that Mesa cabs work really well with the head too. Any suggestions?

2. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Central Massachusetts
    Bergantino NV610. It pairs up very well with that amp.

3. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    no experience with the berg, but my 400+ sounds effing killer through a big ported 2x15. the mesa is articulate enough that it remains tight and forward even as it is overdriven, even with the 2x15 with no mid or tweeter. ive also used it with an ampeg 410HE, and while great sounds lurk within, it just isnt quite loud enough for me, even with the mesa at full squawk. additionally, since the 10's are crossed over, you *have* to use a smidge of tweeter or it sounds very dark. very easy to get the tweeter too loud when the amp is overdriven, which is a raspy fuzzy sort of gross (which you could possibly love?). i think it would be great through a sealed 8x10 as well (SVT cab fan), but i havent yet been able to try that.

big cabs ok?

4. isomela

isomela

Jun 28, 2007
    Finland
    Mine sounds good with Mesa diesel 4x10..

5. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    mesa amps love mesa cabs! I'd have love to have used a Powerhouse 1200 (410+115)

otherwise, my second choice would be a Bergantino NV215

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have used my 400+ with a huge variety of cabs over the years, including Mesa, GK, Trace Elliot, SWR and Bergantino. The clear winners for this combination are the Bergantino NV215 and the NV610 IME.

7. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Central Massachusetts
    They look good together too!

IMG_2666.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think I'd go Bergie sealed for the Mesa. I don't like the 400+ as well as the Neopak with my monster 3080 cab (2x15/8), at least so far.

The Nv215 would be my pick.

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Stoner rock fuzz? Try out whatever you can, but I would suggest going towards 10's mainly.

10. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Don't want to change the subject, but
    where can I get a vintage style rack case as seen
    on the rig picture of Frankie Fender ?
    It looks great with the bergantino cab.

11. Frankie Fender

Jul 13, 2004
    Central Massachusetts
    I got mine on ebay, you just have to be on the lookout for them. BTW, it is a Mesa case made for the 400 and they no longer make them..

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Berg sealed cab ftw!