Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumple, May 24, 2005.

1. Rumple

Rumple

May 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Was just wondering what cabs would you recommend through a 400+. I currently have a swr goliath 3 4-10 cab. And a swr big ben 1-18 cab. Want to get rid of the 18 and get a 15 to save a little space during transporting, playing in two bands now kinda getting sick of all the lugging. I recently saw a mesa 15 which was quite compact in design and kinda liked the idea of a little more space. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Are you looking for a suggestion for a 15 or a main cab or what?

3. Rumple

Rumple

May 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Just a 15 cab gonna stick with the 4-10's and get rid of the 18. Or anything really if you know of a nice 8-10 cab that goes well with that head.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The best combinations I've played with the 400+ are the Aggie 412 and the Bergie 610/215. But if you only want a 15, check out Bag End as well.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bergantino NV sereis cabinets suit tube amps well. Also, the Aguilar 412 is meant to be great. If you don't want to replace everything then maybe an Aguilar 15 or 212?

Mesa's 15" is a very nice cab, so go try it and see if you like it. You could also try and SWR 15"?

6. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    bergantino nv series all the way....ive had the 4x10 +1x15 combo and an 810, and these berg cabs smoke with tube amps...the best imo

7. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I've got the 400+ as well....GREAT amp! I would say a 6x10 is the way to go. The SWR one is pretty light compared to my Ampeg Vintage 6x10, but also Boogie's 6x10 would work great as well. Carry one cab, and get your monster tone on.

8. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i have a 2x15 mesa cab with mine...sounds great...a 4x10 or 6x10 or 8x10 would sound good too...or you could get mesa powerhouse 1000 with a 15 and 4 10's....or have a seperate 15 and 4x10...it doesn't really matter...they all sound good with the mesa 400+ head

9. Kronde

Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    You may want to give the Bag End S15-d a try. Very portable cab with a big sound. Check the online reviews...

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Schroeder 310212;)

11. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    what do you guys think about a little bit older Mesa 2x15 Diesel cab? I've recently purchased a 400+ myself and am finding I don't neccessarily like the way it sounds through my ampeg 8x10, it's a little farty.

I'm currently weighing the advantages of getting a good deal for the little bit older Diesel against just diving in and spending the money on a brand new2x15 built Road Ready style. Any thoughts on both topics?

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Diesel Series 2x15's are the shiz. They've got massive punch, plenty of highs and nice mids too. I've been searching for one over here for a while but can't find one, i'd love one.
    I think they're one of the best 2x15's ever made, period.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I most definitely agree. The EV-loaded Diesel/RR series cabs are a high point in Boogie's bass cabs, IMHO. The 2x15 is probably my favorite, but the 4x10 is also exceptional (and my favorite sounding 4x10). These are some really heavy cabs, though.

Other cabs which I have tried and can recommend for use with tube amps include the Bergantino NV-line (I prefer the NV215, but all three are great), and the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. It's currently my cab of choice when using tube amps. While I have not heard one, I would presume that the El Whappo would be another great choice.

I have a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400, which also uses twelve 6L6's. It has been in the shop for far too long (tracking down some bad caps, it looks like), but when I had a chance to play it, I thought it sounded killer through a pair of EA VL-110's.

Hope this helps, Tom.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Again, I say Schroeder. I use his 410, but they're all pretty awesome. I'm also partial to my old swr Henry 8x8;)

15. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i bought my mesa 2x15 cab for $500...it is about three years old...it's got the new silvery grill like the new cabs but it still has the ev speakers in it....it doesn't have a horn either which is fine by me...oh and it doesn't tilt back to roll it away like the new ones...it has four casters on it which is great because you can set your heavy 400+ on top of it and roll it away....the older cabs are great too...but they will probably sell for the same price i bought mine for....just a thought...i'd say get the newest used one you can find....lol

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I use a Schroeder 1212 with my Mesa 400+.

Great combo.