Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ DI Question + Other Mesa ???'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Sep 23, 2003.

1. I'm just wondering how the DI on the 400+ Mesa head sounds. I seem to have it in my head that a DI on a SS amp would be better than a tube amp, but I don' t know why. I've seen bands play where ppl mic their mesa rigs instead of using the DI.

It also seems to me that a 400+ and the Mesa 6x10 would just be a killer rig ... anyone using this particular setup?

Lastly - are the tubes in the Mesa head user installable, given that you buy a set from Mesa ... not really wanting a discussion here about what tubes are best, just wondering if it can be done on the road on your own.

Peace
    Greg

2. Lot of stings on this subject.
    The DI is all right I guess, nothing special that I know of. I didn't use mine much because we always use our Phantom Power (48v) for our horns. The board we have is a Mackie 1604vlz and we love it, except the XLR buss that the phantom runs through is not capable of single channel isolation therefore the 48v is available to each channel. If you're sure the DI is protected from the 48v you're good. I could never get a straight answer from MESA weather or not the 400+ was protected or not so I used the Slave Out for my signal to the board. I am usually less than 15ft. away so it didn't harm the signal. You can also get a patch cord that has XLR on one and and a balanced TRS 1/4" jack on the other and go into the 1/4 buss on your channel. Works for me. I usually don't use my 400+ anymore, too heavy. If you want a 610 cab that rocks with just about any amp, check out the Bergantino NV610, it blows the covers off all the others....especially the Mesa 610.

Tubes are easy to change. Power tubes get changed in pairs. The amp is wired in parallel so the back row and front row of six each are paired thusly. tube 1 and 7, 2 and 8, etc. Get the right tubes that match the amps requirements.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The reason why people are less likely to use the balanced output of a tube amp is because of the large transformers used in tube amps. The magnetic field generated by these transformers is usually strong and in most cases the balanced output is located in proximity to the field. This can result in a balanced out with a hum or noise.

4. I've used the DI in the last two shows my band has played, and people commented on how clear and powerfull my bass sounded. So I guess the DI must be good.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've done some recordings with the DI on my Buster, and it sounds great! Much better than if I just plugged my bass into the board.

My M-2000 has a DI out, but doesn't have a ground lift switch. Neither does my MBox, and the two of those together hum pretty bad. Can't comment on the tone for that.

My BassTriaxis record out is the best! It has a tuned output that sort of gives the impression that you are micing a cab (it's NOT emulating a cab - it has a built in EQ curve that sounds kind of like it though). This is especially cool when recording overdriven bass sounds, as it rolls off some of the nasty fizzyness on the high end. Good stuff.

I'll let you know what I think of the 400+ when I get one... right after I get my D-180... and my Walkabout Scout... and my Powerhouse Jr.... and .....