Mesa 400+ & Eden 410XST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intune, May 7, 2005.

1. Well, I did it. Bought both this week, waiting on delivery. I wasn't able to try this combo together. I have heard plenty of 400's but not with XST's. I have heard XLT's but not XST's and not with a Mesa head. I am committing the big nono by not A/B'ing but I had no choice. The two elements could not be brought together. It SHOULD sound great. My fingers are crossed. Now to find a handtruck :help: and a 4 space shockmount! I'm excited :hyper:
  2. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    That should sound really sweet together! Congrats on the rig!
  3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That should be one kickass combo. That head and that cab should match perfectly.
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That'll sound killer... my 400+ going through my old SWR Goliath I 4x1o (similar to the Eden 410XT) sounded amazing. A Gator shock-rack case works great over here.
  5. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    you have nothing to worry about. That is going to be awesome.
  6. DAMN! Unfrickinbelievable! Played it today through my two 15" JBL's. Horsepower! I was worried about our crystal, I kid you not. This mutha just growls back at ya when you dig in. At soft levels too. I am sooo pumped with this amp. I have one concern though, some of the tubes have a nice glow to them and others have nothing. Are they dead or is it just a matter of volume pumped through them? I am a proud MESA owner! Even if I have to get this puppy retubed the TONE was well worth it. Speaking of which, thank you to the poster who emphasized the pull outs. It wasn't on this thread but he helped another MESA owner. I'm gonna find that thread and thank him properly. It makes a world of diff.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Do they glow when you turn it up a lot?
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm a bit concerned that you say that not all your tubes are glowing (I've been accused of that for years, but I'm pretty sure that that's not what they're talking about...and people may be right!). You should check it out in a dark room. Better yet, if you don't have the head racked yet, then you should take the top cover's really only a tube guard. Then you'll be able to see all the tubes, including the preamp tubes. Are there 'pairs' that aren't glowing? Since it's new, if you find this to be the case, call the dealer and make sure they make good.
  9. It doesn't matter. If any of your output tubes weren't working your amp would sound like crap and eventually blow its fuse. Just because you can't SEE the heater element (the part that glows) does not mean it isn't doing its job. There are lots of common amp tubes where the construction of the tube "hides" the heater from being easily visible.
  10. Help! I think I blew my speaker. We practiced today & I used my 400 with a 15" JBL K140 speaker. Moderate volume, chan on about 2.5 & master on 3. Mids on 10, bass 4, treb 3ish. No other eq. 3/4 through practice it turns into a fuzz box. Tried my Musicman head, fuzzbox. Toast, right? This cab has been going stong for about 30 years at MUCH higher volumes. My question, is there any way the Mesa did this? I never cranked the master to 10 or anything like that. Any ideas? Have a gig Wed, so screwed.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Wow. That's weird.

I don't know what to tell you...Haven't had that problem. Maybe PBG has some advice.

I blew out all my speakers in my 4x10 when I got my first active bass...but then it was an old (12yrs) cabinet and the speakers had never been changed.
  12. Well, looking around on the net on the JBL site it says that the K140 can handle a conservative 150 watt continous sine wave. We were playing at about the same volume as when my MM HD130 is turned up to about 3.5. I have that "you're stupid" feeling. I think I ruined a great speaker and now I'm stuck doing the gig with either 2 JBL 15's cabs @ 16ohms each. 8 ohms. Or my Acoustic 301 18" @ 4 ohms. Bummed big time.

Edited for ohmage.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, bummer.

How long until you get the Eden?
  14. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    im egar to play an eden XST.
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    As am I, though the 410XST over here is over $2500.. I could get a Bergantino NV425 or Schroeder 310212 for cheaper than that :(
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Go for a Schroeder. I'm using a 1212 and it's pretty freekin' nice.

On Friday nite, it was the only cab I brought, and it was fine. In fact, the bar asked me to turn down...this after my guitarist told me it was a mistake to only show up with 'that little cab'...that I'd want my 112 underneath it. Nope!
  17. Man, Popin', they sure do beat ya'll up on import stuff. The Eden transaction was a mess. One of the speakers was totally separated from the frame. :( I think I need a karma tweak.

I can get another speaker, the thing that worries me is the Mesa. Is there ANY way that it is putting out "bad" power? Is there even such a thing?

The speaker travels back & forth with no rubbing or noise when you press it. I thought this was a check for blown speaker. It passed. I'm gonna check the connections today. Perhaps there is a simple fix. Loose wire or something.
  18. tellis

May 6, 2005
    Birmingham Al
  19. Ok, an update. It's the speaker. :crying: Wiring is good. Reacts to 9 volt. If I play at low level & press in on speaker it sounds better. Any speaker guys out there? Is it the driver? Recone time?

I don't think the head can put out "bad" power so I got brave & hooked it up to my 301 cab. Sounds great. I played at very low levels because I want to look up the power rating on the Cerwin 18" before I fry another speaker. There's hope still!