1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa 400+ effects blend setting with compressor...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by durdentk, Feb 29, 2008.

1. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    Hey guys, I am just wondering what everyones effects blend is set to when you are using your 400+ with a compressor? I currently have mine set at 10 and I am wondering if I would get better results with it lower or if maxed is the best way to go about this. thanks!

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    How exactly does the effects blend work? It must serve some purpose...

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    It does. It works as a dry/wet blend for the FX loop so you can have effects while still keeping your original clean signal intact.

Blending is totally useless for a compressor, though. What's the point of having one if you don't let it process your entire signal? If all you have in the loop is the compressor, turn the blend up all the way. If you have other effects that you want to blend in with the clean signal, run them in the loop and put the compressor in-line. Compressors work just as well in the loop or in-line.

BTW, every bass amp should have a blendable effects loop. I don't know why more of them don't.

4. durdentk

durdentk

Feb 16, 2008
    ok cool, all i have in my effects loop is a tuner and the compressor/sm. glad to hear that my setting of having it maxed is where it should be, thanks!

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I like to run my effects pretty saturated when I use them, so maybe it's not for me.

When does the effects loop come into play? Right after the input coloration? Before or after the EQ?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW there are times when blending a compressed signal with an uncompressed signal can sound really good. It's not the normal way to do things, normally you want the blend at 100% "effect", but again it sometimes works out pretty nicely to mix them, especially if you are just using the compressor to fatten up and gently even out your signal, rather than using it as a peak limiter.

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    This I don't know.

Bongo, I could see what you were saying if you were using compression as an actual effect, like squashing the signal into a tiny ball and adding a clean sound to give it some body, but I don't see where the gains are in half compressed, half uncompressed when you're barely compressing anyway. On the other hand, this gives me a little fun thing to experiment with and see since I've never even tried it before. But I must say that on paper, I just don't see the advantage.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One thing is that a signal plus itself is not the same as the signal by itself, so that's worth hearing right there. Another is that many compressors roll off a touch of the highs or the lows (or even both); blending some of the original signal back in can bring back some of the depth and articulation that might otherwise have been robbed. Certainly it's a compromise, you lose some of the benefit of the compression, but it sometimes sounds so good it's worth the compromise. Note that the Barber Tone Press, the Guyatone ST2, the Guyatone TC-X, and a few other comps have this feature built in, and they get a lot of praise for it.