Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ factory repair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arrrrrgh, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    Hello everyone

I just acquired a old mesa 400+ that has blown tubes, and has a history of blowing power tubes quickly (in 3-4 months). My local tube amp repair guy can't figure out why it kept blowing tubes and he recommended I send it directly to Mesaboogie and have them repair it right at the factory. (The repair guy said the previous owner was always putting a 2-ohm load into the 8-ohm jack... that might be the problem)

Has anyone ever dealt with the repair people @ mesaboogie ? any feedback ?

Thanks for the input

2. personally I never had to deal with them because I never had a problem with their products,but everyone that I know\heard of says they're customer service is the best....call them,I'm sure they can help in some way...

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

The guy I talked to was Kevin Robertson. He bent over backwards to help me!

4. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Call Mesa ask for ext. 336 Mike:D

5. see...there ya go:D

6. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i have a 400+ and i had to deal with getting it repaired thru mesa for blown tubes also. they're help and service is top notch. they were about four days ahead of scheduale when they said they'd have it back to me, and they were very reasonable with the price i had to pay compared to local techs. good luck with your head you should be squared away in no time.

7. Rockbobmel

I'm glad you got yours straightened out. BTW, What was it? Did Mesa explain the trouble? I remember you talking about it before.

8. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    Thanks for all the positive input

I already sent it off for repair, I was just hoping that you TB'rs thought it was a good idea

Thanks again

I'll let you know how it turned out

9. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    the problem apparantly was just that a tube blew which killed some screen resistors and fractured my tube socket. i bought the amp used and it's an old one with the attached power chord so i don't know how the amp was treated prior to my ownership. i was told by the local tube scientist (as we call him because he's so technical) and confirmed by mesa that the amps run at extremly high voltages to try and get every ounce of performance in the amps, resulting in being very hard on tubes. i've got groove tubes in there now (friend at gc hooked me up $60 per quartet) and they're supposidly very solid groove tubes but i'm just hoping they'll last. i'm thinking of retubing with matched svets just to be on the safe side and they're supposed to be better tubes. i'm still kind of skeptical however the degree of affect a certain type of power tube has over the other.

10. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    I am impressed by the customer service @ Mesa Boogie.

The repair for my 400+ was $325. This included all new tubes, and they replaced a fuse socket and a screen resistor (and this included freight). The repair only took 1-week. This was far cheaper than any shop I contacted about a possible repair.

I have one question....

The Amp came back with little black keepers around the power tubes, and I think they should be taken off but I don't know for sure.

I have to play tonight for a gig, and I have another amp if I dont hear an answer.

But..... Are those power amp keepers just for transport only (as I think) or they some kind of plastic that will take the heat ??

Once again, I would recommend Mesa Boogie just for their customer support, they have been excellent.

Thanks for the help

Richard

11. Rockbobmel

Ain't it a comfort?? Not sure about the keepers...Mine has bear traps. Maybe they use the keepers on the 5881 tubes (No plastic bottom sleeve).

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Are the keepers mesh plastic? If they are, take them off. They are only there for shipping. They will melt all over your tubes if you don't!