Mesa 400+ FX Loop??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Question. I have a Korg (tone works) rack tuner and it is great. I have been running it though the Mesa 400+ effects loop which has a blend control 0-10 which I keep on full (10) so the signal will not be hampered. Thing is, I notice the sound/volume to be a little louder when I don't have anything in the fx-loop at all. So lately I have been going strictly bass to amp and unplugging to tune once a set. My bass is rarely out of tune, so I guess it's really a no brainer, but I thought I would tap all of the vast amount of knowledge on Talk Bass and see if some how I am not doing something correctly. I see that I am not alone in the world of trying to get the ultimate sound and gear into one little, light, dependable, economic, durable package. Yeah, sure. I know I have many questions about gear, but it is as much a passion as a necessity. Anyway this is the most enjoyable informative bunch of musicians and gearheads I have ever communicated with. Any pearls of wisdom will be appreciated.
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm no techno-wizard but i dont think the blend control effects the signal into your tuner. i believe that it only effects output. but in light of your volume issue, have you tried putting the blend at 5?
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Weird ... a modern amp with no tuner out? Maybe you should try to run it out your pre-amp send.
  4. Brewer9 is almost right, the blend knob only adjusts the amount of signal coming back into the amp. The output from "send" is always the same, but if you turn up the gain that will increase the output through the "Send" but that was not the issue. :) good luck!
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

Plug the tuner input into the effect SEND. Don't plug into the receive jack at all. That's what I do with my tuner with my Mesa.

The only reason to plug the tuner output back into the receive is if the tuner has a mute feature and you use it all the time. Do you?

Munji, the 400+ dates to the early 90s when tuner outs were not yet a common feature.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the earlier Bass 400 with 6550's and it has a slave output with level control that could also be used for a tuner send...