Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa 400+ gets hot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miljer, Feb 13, 2006.

1. miljer

miljer

Oct 10, 2005
    I bought the amp used, and this is my first all tube amp. I noticed it get preety warm, and wondered if this is normal, beings there is 12 power tubes in it. Alos i'm looking into replacing all the tubes once i have enuff money otgether. i wanna get sumthing other than the mesa tubes and just so i have a nice new set in. Any suggestions on tubes? i planned on getting them from thetubestore.com, and was looking at the 6L6GC's
    preamp tubes i was lokking at the 12AX&EH's

thanks

2. It'll get pretty warm, especially the end furthest from the fan - particularly in a rack. I bought one of those fans with a large clothes pin type clip and clamp it on the back of the rack to better cool the far end.

3. miljer

miljer

Oct 10, 2005
    ok i figured, yea i have it in a rack and the fan gets pretty much no air, and i have contemplated fan ideas

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It's normal. Tubes get hot.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The last time I retubed my Mesa 400 and Ampeg B15R I got JJ's from Eurotubes. They sound great, and much better than the Sovteks I'd been using for years.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Although you don't need to replace tubes until they wear out, I hate the tone of "Mesa" tubes. I got mine with new JJ tubes, and it sounds great! JJ and the 400+ seem to go together.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't like Mesa tubes either (though my experience has been primarily with tube guitar Mesa, than tube bass Mesa). I especially don't care for their rebranded 12AX7's...

For that matter thier whole view on no bias pot's in their heads (easy fix) and that their tubes are "best" for their amps.

All that aside Mesa amps are high quality and sound really good. :cool:

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I don't think I've had pots installed, but it works well with just about any 6l6 in there. When you change the type to another, such as EL-34 (I am told they can take em) you need bias pots though. I absolutely love my 400+, bias pots or not! :p

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup.

Another vote for JJ's from Bob @ Eurotubes.

And a clip fan for long gigs with your amp in a rack.

10. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Which Mesa (rebranded) tubes? Mine came with the Russian 5881's, and I can't complain about the tone. Considering that all but two test to be in basically new condition, it'll be a while before I try anything else . . . .

- Tim

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I dunno that Mesa necessarily claimed their tubes are the "best" but rather that that is what their amps are setup for, and that is what they will warrant. Put some offbrand Chinese junk in there and blow it up and I can't say I would blame them for telling you to take a hike on warranty issues. At least with the Mesa tubes, they know they were in decent shape with no catastrophic problems before leaving the factory . . . does Fred's tube show give you that guarantee? Now, having said that, once out of warranty, there is not a heck of a lot of reason to stay with the Mesa rebranded stuff, unless you are totally uncomfortable verifying that what you pick is biased correctly . . . . .

- Tim

12. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Or modify/baffle the rack to ensure that hot air does not recirculate . . . . . more work, but far less of a kludge than a clip fan.

- Tim

13. Back in the 80's Mesa used to have rebranded Sylvenia's if i remember correctly, which were pretty tastey :D

However, im all for JJ's, and bob at Eurotubes is great to deal with, JJ's seem to work in everything! Got them in my SVT-II, getting them soon for my peavey classic :D

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I'm using a big 5 space rack...and not one that'll take to drilling. Those 4 space SKBs are supposed to be easy to modify.

15. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I don't know what you have in the 5th space, but if it is open, you have the easiest yet! Put a filter/vent panel in the 5th space, and just baffle the interior front to back so that the fan draws from the front, and exhausts out the back. No real rack mods needed at all. Now, if you are using the 5th space, the story is much different . . . .

- Tim

16. sorry to highjack the thread but i was thinking of getting an all tube head soon, but the cost of the head along is pretty pricey, how much does it usuall run to get all the tubes replaced by a professional?

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Since Mesas don't have a bias adjustment, you can do the tubes yourself.

That said, you can count on dropping about 200+ on tubes to do all 12 power tubes and the 4 preamp tubes.

18. Sounds fine with Sovteks too. Just about anything will sound at worst pretty good.

19. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Yeah, them thar Commie valves ain't too shabby.

20. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I think these are what Mesa is rebranding as their STR-425 5881's:

http://www.tubedepot.com/so-5881.html

Based on their pricing, you can do a full set of outputs for $137.70, and preamp tubes almost never die, but those can be had for about $7 upwards to insanity.

Bottom line: depending on what you want to do, you can do a basic retube for well UNDER $200 . . . . .

- Tim