Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 15, 2001.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I found one at a good price. I havn´t bought it ´cause I want to know:
    1) How much does it weight? Heavy? Is it worth the effort?
    2) How long can I play it without changing the tubes (if they are new)?
    3) What shall I watch out for when buying a used one?

I´m a bit scared of tubes and the fact that they are so expensive and can break in the middel of a gig. How fragile are they???

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I recommend you buy it. I've had mine for over a year and think its the greatest invention ever! It does weigh a lot though. I have someone help me move my entire rackmount unit with me. For two its a breeeze. I havent changed the tubes yet after more than a year and they are still going strong. I'm not sure what to watch for on a used one. I guess it matters what tubes are currently in it and how the guy treated it. Are any knobs missing or bent, etc. Its not fragile at all. In fact its the most durable unit i've owned (the most fragile was a Hartke). My band plays out 3 times every month and its stands the rigors without incident.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The head weighs a litle over 40 pounds but you need to rack it so the weight of the rack with the amp in it will be 50 pounds or more. Still lighter than an SVT head, though.

Preamp tubes will last nearly forever. Power tubes do wear out but it depends on how often you play the amp and how hard it is driven. Steady gigging (say 3 nights a week) maybe 1-2 years on a set of power tubes.

Just bring spare fuses and tubes to your gigs and you'll be OK. I used a D-180 (earlier 200 watt version) with zero problems but did get tired of the weight so sold it. The amp was 18 years old with zero repairs and it never blew a fuse or a tube on a gig.

4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    The MESA/Boogie BASS 400+ is a great amp. Plenty of power, versatile sound, great tone and punch. They go between $600-$900 depending on condition of the amp and tubes. I got mine for about $800 with low miles on the tubes. They way about 45 lbs or so. I'd look for signs of it being dropped take the lid off and look inside and see if everthything looks right. If your friends w/ any techs you could see if they'd take a quick peak at it for you. Overall they're built like tanks and MESA offers great customer support even if you buy one of they're amps used.

5. Bah, 45 pounds? Is that any kind of an amp for a real man? It needs to be 90 pounds:D. Just kidding of course. I've got casters on the case for my SVT and I never lift it by myself. The 400+ is a great amp. Killer tone. The life of power tubes depends on how hard they've been driven, how well they're matched and whether they've been biased correctly, as well as hours of use. As far as I'm concerned the extra weight and bit of hassle with tubes is well worth the tone. Mesa stuff's well made and reliable.

6. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I would definately buy it if it works. They are nice amps and if you decide you don't like it you could probably sell it on e-bay and make money. Lately ones have been selling for around $700 and up.

7. If you are questioning its reliability never buy anything used. I would get it take it to a tech, and have him test it. If the tubes are good, GREAT, if they are questionable you are looking at around $200 to retube it. Either way it is a EXCELLENT tube amp IMO of course. Hope this helps.

P.S. 400+ fourty lbs, hell I must be getting old, mine feels like 90lbs

PETE