Mesa 400+, I love you!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoss, May 27, 2004.

1. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    My new Mesa 400+ just arrived the other day, and after one practice with it I've decided that I'm in love. This amp just plain rocks! It's exactly what I've been looking for! Tons of volume, awesome tone from clean to dirty, not too heavy, looks cool as hell, and for the icing on the cake, was brand new in unopened box for the price of a used one!

The only thing that I don't like is the fact that when I tried to remove the top of the case to access the tubes easier (to remove their protective plastic webbing) 3 of the damn screws were on so incredibly tight that they stripped. It's going to be fun when I have to take it in for any servicing.

I can't wait to hear how this thing will sound with JJ's in it. Thanks for all the great info guys! I think this'll be the amp for me for a long, long time.
  2. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    3 of the screws stripped?

no problem...say hello to my little friend...The Craftsman 'Drill-out Power Extractor'..Six bits in a small plastic case... designed to remove damaged screws.

check it out.
  3. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip!
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    While we're at the topic, why do amp manufacturers have to screw those damn screws so hard in!!! :mad:
    that dont make no sense!
    Its so hard to get out, that you easily harm the whole thing while doing it!! :mad:

*Rant off*

but, honestly, why is it necessary?
  5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003

Because if they weren't tight they could vibrate loose.
  6. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Thats why the Allen head was invented, The ones I hate are the little star heads that you have to buy to put in a car stereo. Go Bob Villa Go Go
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  8. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I've had many allen heads strip :crying:
  9. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Thats because you used a standard size wrench on a metric socket.
  10. I think that they probably put most of their screws on with an air gun, which is way faster but tends to over tighten them (just try removing lug bolts on a flat tire that had been previously tightened with a pneumatic wrench).