Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stachio, May 19, 2003.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I couldn't find the info on the site...
    Is the 400+ stable to 2 ohms ?

2. You won't have full output power, but it won't hurt anything. Run a 2 ohm load off the 4 ohm tap.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, the 400+ does have 2 ohm jacks. It can handle it. Go to town.

4. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Some years have a 2, 4 and 8 ohm taps, some only have the 4 and 8 ohm output. I have seen Mesa 400+'s with 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps recently.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My Trace Hexa Valve head is 4 ohm and 2ohm....my EA VL210 is 8ohm. would it be safe to run this cab with my head. If so, how would I run it?

6. Add another 8 ohm can and run them off the 4 ohm tap. For about the millionth time in the past MONTH, you can run the output lower in impedance, but things get dicey when you go higher. Your Trace already has much higher voltage compared to a Mesa or Ampeg so a single 8 ohm cab will probably toast your tubes.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    sorry I'm alittle retarded:p I'm having EA wire my cab with new speakers and so it's 4ohms....

8. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    But what about my 6 ohm cabinet? Can you tell me where to plug that in? :D

Hey, PBG? Did you make it through the tornado uscathed? I guess you could always hide amongst all the bass cabinets!

9. 8 ohm tap.

The tornado hit in West Knoxville, over 25 miles from here. The west end of town is sort of town unto itself and is where all the rich people live. Funny how a tornado that caused no deaths and damaged only two houses got national attention. The trailer park in Mrogan County was ruled by the NWS to have been damaged by straightline winds.