1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa 400+ is how many watts into what ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, May 26, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mesa's website merely says:
    "500 Watts, All Tube, Class A/B Power / 12x6L6, 4x12AX7"

But does not say how many watts into say, 4 ohms, 8 ohms, etc...

How does this one break down guys?

Additionally anyone ever a/b'd a Mesa 400+ next to a Thunderfunk 550?

Thanks, Alan

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That's 500w peak. It's 300w (VERY optimistic) into 8, 4, or 2 Ohms. 6L6s are not likely to put out 25 watts each, so the number is usually around 287w (seems to be the common answer around here.) :)

3. It's 300 watts into all loads- that's the way the output transformer works and why there are seperate outputs. The "500 watts" claim is peak power and is misleading, although the 400+ is a LOUD 300 watts.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    PBG is right as usual. To make things more confusing, the volume of this amp is pretty hefty for -300 watts. If you can, try one yourself. You won't be disappointed.

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I have one already, and like it lots. I was just wondering what the "real watts lowdown" was.

And if anyone has a/b'd them with a Thunderfunk 550. I loooove the 400+'s big fat sound, but dig the weight a little less. The TF550's hefty 15lbs is appealing;)

6. As Hurley pointed out a 6L6 tube producing 25 watts is exceptional and working very hard. More than most manufacturers, I take Mesa Boogie's advertising specs with several grains of salt. OTOH, it is a very loud amp, so are the Demeter and the Sunn 300/Fender Pro 300. My preference is the older Sunns for nostalgia reasons: a P Bass and 2 Sunns each on top of a 2x15 cab reminds me of the days when all my body parts still worked they way they were designed. But if someone gave me one of the Mesas, I sure wouldn't pawn it.

7. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I love my 400+ I just wish it would have come with a back brace. That joker weighs 89 lbs. in Mesa's big wooden "rack". Did you know Mesa has sparkle (glitter) finishes now? How cool is that?

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    500 watts into 2, 4, or 8 ohms
    a tip......if you use input 2 your volume will be louder...i use it even with an active bass

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No, that's peak wattage. It's closer to 300 watts.

11. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    maybe so....it sounds about the same volume as my ampeg svt used to...maybe a little louder..my ampeg was 300 watts...so you may be right

12. Now that is a bass rig, Sean!! How do you get it out of the basement?

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    1500lb winch and a rotating crane arm I bet... :bag:

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    But remember, those are TUBE watts, which are twice as loud as regular watts. :smug:

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Use the force Luke...

16. I'd say actually somewhere between 3-4X but yah...

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's only the midrange/treble rig. For lows I use a Music Man HD130 into a Randall 1x15 Reflex cab (soon to be replaced hopefully with a Sunn folded horn/scoop 1x18 cab).

The full rig:
    [​IMG]

P.S. Click the link in my profile for some clips of the Sunn into the univox.