mesa 400+, my di seems inop?? any help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Jul 7, 2005.

1. i just dug out my bass, 400+ and it seems my di is inoperative. im hoping theres something im missing here. ive been using my buster for a while now, and im hoping i may have forgotten something. thanks all for any help.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Make sure the volume on the back is on.
  3. ill go check. i forgot there was one..........
  4. no, i must have a problem. there are two volume knobs on the back. neither affect anything. ive got amp on , standby in the run position , i can hear my bass with the master on. i turn the master off and i cant hear any bass signal unless i turn my input way up and at that, its minimal. theres a ground float, which also does nothing to produce bass. i think its repair time. i should be able to turn my bass master volume way down to off and get a nice signal from the di.
  5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    OK, that does it for me. I was thinking about getting a Mesa head. But it looks like I had better go with that new Behringer BX4500T. :eek:
  6. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005

behringer = the suxors compared to mesa....
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The 2 knobs on the back don't effect the XLR. One is for the send/return on the loop, the other is for the 1/4 inch slave send.
    You've got a problem with your DI...Maybe time to visit a tech.
  8. Try giving Mesa a call, talk to customer service. They have always been very helpful and knowledgable. 1st class org.

Mark F. Sanderson
  9. I think he's taking the proverbial a bit . . .

Surely a DI problem wont be that expensive to fix, probably just a dry solder joint
  10. thanks all, ill call mesa on monday, they are closed on fridays. i really bummed last nite when i was setting up my studio with some different gear and the 400+ di was not working. i guess in the meantime hiopefully i can run thru my sabbdi in to my 400+ with a dry signal and possibly get a good di tone out of the sabbdi and out of the boogie also.
    .............till i get it fixed next week
  11. isnt there a boogie settings? ( i dont have my sa bddi book on me)
  12. the mesa boogie 400+ has to be hooked up to an appropriate ohmage cab as expected, ........and it must be played thru the cabinets speaker, or utilize a load resistor instead.
    only in the case of using a load resister can you play thru the di and not thru the speaker.
    on the 400+ the master control knob must be turned up to utilize the di.
    this makes using this amp for the purpose of utilizing the preamp only without hearing the sound thru your basscab impossible, unless you use a load resister.
    im surprised this thread got burried this deep without anyone knowing this.
    this info is from mesa boogie
  13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You were using your 400+ without a speaker?!?!?

You're lucky to have a working amp at all...

Fer the most part, operating a tube amp without a load 'ultimate sin' of operating one.

I didn't even think to ask.
  14. come on........who would play a tube amp without a load. that is not what i did. i have several other tube amps, most of which you can turn down the master completely and turn up the pre and get a nice signal out of the di. always with a speaker connected but not audible. to run a tube amp without a load, yes would be disaster.
    in the case of the mesa buster you can use the di out while turning down the master completely and it works fine practicing with my headphones on out of my daw. the 400+ surprised me as it was the first time i was setting it up in my studio. tx
  15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    What about using the other out...The manual talks about using it to feed a board instead of the DI...If it runs pre-main, then you should still be able to turn down the main volumes and get signal. There have been a few shows I've played with sub-par boards and the signal from the DI was too hot, and I used this as suggested, without problem.
  16. mmm, ill look into it when i get home. ive heard the signal is pretty hot on the 400+out of the di. tx