Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+, Ohms, Power Output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefty_400, Mar 13, 2006.

1. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    I have owned my 400+ for a while and have been cranking it through a Mesa 4x10 @8 ohms (cab rated at 600 watts) without fear of speaker meltdown.

I am not selling the 4x10 anytime soon, however, I am looking into getting a 1x15 for portability (even as an extension to the 4x10 on occasion). The Mesa 1x15 (600 watts!) would be nice, but as with all Mesa gear it comes at a premium price. I have been kicking around the idea of other brand used 1x15s in my neighbourhood that have popped up from time to time. The thing is, these cabs are usually rated at much lower wattage levels (200 or 300 watts @8 ohms).

In the Mesa manual it states:
    "Two 8-ohm, two 4-ohm and 2-ohm speaker jacks are provided on the Bass 400 Plus. The amp will produce its full power at all of these impedances, provided that the total impedance of your speaker cabinets is matched to the output(s) used."

Then on their website it states:
    "500 watts @2 ohms" implying that output wattage is less at higher ohm levels (This seems more correct to me).

Bottom Line:
    What is the exact wattage of the 400+ @8 ohms, @4 ohms?

What is the lowest rating of speaker cab I should consider when cranking the 400+ into it @8 ohms?

Thanks for the help

2. The 400+ will do ~300W into 8,4 or 2 Ohms. It's not really a 500W amp, Mesa uses the 'peak' power rating for its ad copy for the 400+.

Any cab rated at 300W or more would work fine. If you're planning on overdriving the amp you should probably get a cab rated for 500W+

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mark is correct.

The amp puts out 300W give or take @ 2,4 or 8 ohms. Keep in mind with 2 cabs, you'll be splitting that wattage between the two. You'll be OK with a cab rated at 300w.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Even if the cab isn't rated at 300 watts, if you don't drive it at full volume there should not be any issues.