Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MESA 400 or 400+ bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoodadoo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Ok, for someone new to Mesa heads, what is the real difference between the 400 and 400+ heads? And for someone who just uses bass guitars with passive pickups, is the Mesa 400 the way to go. Would it run good thru the 2X15 Mesa cabinet? Help!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    the 400+ has about 100w more power...different tube compliment and slightly different eq.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX

Tip: a search will yield a bunch of questions/answers on this very question. They're both great heads, some of the differences being (i) 400+ has a 2-ohm output, (ii) 400+ has an extra band of graphic EQ, (iii) er...actually I forget the others, but I'd just do a search to find out what these are myself! :D

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The 400+ uses 12 6L6 tubes ~ 287 watts.
    The 400 uses 6 6550 tubes ~ 300 watts.
    [Late edit: I may be wrong about the output of the 400. The transformers are rather small, and I read elsewhere on here that it's probably not 300w.]

I doubt there's much difference in volume. I don't know of any other differences, besides that the 400 has a 6-band EQ, while the 400+ has a 7-band. Also, the 400 is discontinued, so you'd have to find one used.

I think either one would be killer through a Mesa 2x15. :)

5. Jmaginnis

Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    Good luck on finding the 400, only twelve hundred were made, but I do believe there is one on the bay right now. (there is: here.)

I owned one for a little less than a year, and basically it is just a down-powered 400+. I have played both, and they have the same smooth slaphappy tone that you can expect from mesa. If you never crank the volume up alot, I don't think you would ever notice a difference at all.

6. Thank you all for the help with info. Yeah, I was looking at the 400 head on eBay. Didn't bid on it, but I am thinking about a 400+ head that is new. What is a reasonable price for these second hand in new condition? I checked with Mesa and they list for 1499.00.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've been trying to grab a 400+ for a bit too...I don't want to pay more than 900 and that's probably too high. Keep in mind that if you buy used you'll probably want to re-tube and that'll run you another 200+. With 12 power tubes @ about 15$ each plus pre-amp tubes. I'd love to see one for 7-800$.

I've played a few over the years, and I think it's a good alternative to the SVT sound...not as aggressive but still punchy and defined.

I was looking at the one w/cab in the boston area on ebay...but didn't want the cab. If it had ended up around $900 I would have bought it and only taken the head. (it ended around $950).

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've seen these go on the bay for as low as $600. However, I see a lot of em up there at the moment posted by sellers with out any feedback...

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, they were going for around 6...until I got serious about getting one. The only one up right now was the guy from Blink 182's and beyond not being in the least interested in who he is, I can't imagine that it had an easy life of touring. And that 0 feedback thing again. :(

I'd rather buy from a TB'er, but no one's givin' a 400+ up these days.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I had a 400+ at one point but only for a few weeks. The sound was nice but just not for me. I like my Trace V4 better, but I sold mine to a friend for like $300 off and hes really happy with it. Before you buy one online, I just suggest trying one out in the store, and really screw with the controls some.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have tried a few of these over the years...a couple have shown up in back lines that have been provided for me.

I'd even think of buying new, but no one has one within a 2+ hour drive. That, and while liking expensive gear, I'm cheap (read that low paying day job).

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm in no way a Mark Hoppus expert, but I'm pretty sure he used an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro for quite a few years. I think that ad is BS.

What's up with the Mesa interest lately? I had mine up a few month back, and only got a few offers (none at the price I wanted). You've got me thinking... ;)

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Message me, friend...or email me at 1000kissesdeep@gmail.com

this could be quick and painless.

14. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Check your inbox. Long PM sent. :)

15. Well. no dice on winning the 400+. There were 2 bidders going back and forth on it, and it went for 1200+. It was brand new. So now I have to be patient and wait for some to be available. If anyone out there in cyber space has a 400+ they would sell, in top condition, please let me know.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Slightly shorter PM sent back.

:)