1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa 400 or 400 plus tube layout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaZombieWoof, May 18, 2011.

1. No, I don't want the schematic. Yes I know it is 4 12AX7's and either a half dozen 6L6/6550's for 400 or dozen 6L6's for 400 plus. What I want to know, looking down on it with the controls facing me, what are V1 through V4 locations. There is compelling logic for 1-4 being right to left and for left to right. Anybody know? FYI, V1 and V2 are the preamp and eq section whereas V3 and V4 are for the driver circuit for the mess of output tubes. It's the same layout for the 400 and 400 plus.

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    V1 is closest to the input jacks.

3. That is what I thought as it would make most sense. In 400 plus that makes V1 really crowding the transformer I take to be the output transformer. I bet it was nicer in the 400.

I have a 400 plus complete with the Sus-4 rack from Boogie. Kind of a heavy monster till I try my buddy's SVT's.:):hyper::bassist:

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey me too, my sus-4 weighs in around 30lbs. My 400+ is 43lbs. So combined its not that much lighter than my old SVT.

5. The dangerous thing about these amps is that the louder they go the more fun they get.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    !0-4 to that good buddy, I think I'm gonna leave my 400+ and SVT at home and gig my Mesa D-180/1x15 power house rig this weekend. Its been sounding pretty dam sweet lately cause I can actually crank that sucker up w/o pissing off the sound man.